• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talking over the internet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Allright well to start off I will explain my situation in brief.

I live in St.Albert, Alberta Canada and my girlfriend happens to live about 3000 kilometer's away in Montreal, Quebec (Canada :p)(they have tried a few times to seperate). Now we were calling each other everyday once she got a phone plan at her apartment and things were great. Then she got her phone bill in the mail and it was for $180 :eek:. Turns out these long distance phone plans that charge a flat rate have a built in limit to them that she was unaware of and we kind of exceeded it by a large margin. Now since both of us are in university we can not really afford to pay the long distance charges anymore so this is why I have made this post.

I am looking for some sort of service that allows us to talk to each other using our broadband connections over the internet. I know that there is that new service Vonage that uses broadband and works with a phone number but it is still pretty expensive and we dont need it too call anyone else. Is there another program that will let us connect to each other's computers like MSN or AIM and talk like that?

I used a voice relay program before for StarCraft but if I remember correctly it worked like a walkie-talkie and only one person could talk at once. So I am looking for a program that will hopefully let us both talk at the same time if that is possible.

Anyway any help that you could give me with this would be greatly appreciated.

I discovered this program last night

http://www.skype.com/

Its 100% free, no spyware or anything, all you is register then you get your girl friend to do the same and you add her to your contact list and then dial

I thought most of the IM clients nowadays had hands free operation. Since your both on high speed you should get alright results. Maybe even toss in some video if you wanted.
MSIM has pretty good Vchat(if it stay connected), Yahoo can be spotty at times for a good Rx/Tx. I am unsure of AIM, if I remeber right it was not the best quality sound. Then there is Paltalk, that was kind of one of the best for pure talking. It is ad driven, but the pay version does alright, it gives you the most control over audio options of all the ones I found.
If you want to try all of them(minus Paltalk) there is of course, Trillian. It is also pay, but the free version is actually really good.

Skype is full of spyware! It's made by the same people that made kazaa. You could look into using ventrilo or team speak, just host the server on either yours or your girlfriends box, then both connect to it.

Ad Rock, if your G/f lives above ground, then get her to look at Bell Canada Cell Phones.

There is a Feature called "Touch base" which has 1 Phone number with 20 Unlimited time calls, my G/f is in University right now, we use this service it is $6 ontop of ANY Mobile phone plan, see if it is available to your G/F or even your self. I'm in Ontario.

Flamed_Chip said:
Skype is full of spyware! It's made by the same people that made kazaa. You could look into using ventrilo or team speak, just host the server on either yours or your girlfriends box, then both connect to it.

Could you please backup this statement? They have a different income stream from skype so I would like to see you vback this up. The income stream for Kazaa was spyware.

Yeh, ive scanned my computer a few times and nothing has showed up, it doesnt even ask you to install a toolbar or anything :shrug:

Back