• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600GT OC Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMainFrame

Ok so ive got my MSI 6600GT and purchased a Siencer 6 rev 2 as well as taking a dremel to my stock heatsink and removing the portions that covered the memory. Since the silencer dosent cool the memory i figure since i got a side fan that blows on the card i can just throw the cut off peices back on the cards memory.

off topic question: was that a great idea or is it not necessary to cool the cards mem?

Abyway.. i got RivaTuner and iv got my clocks set to 550/1150 and i was wondering a few things.

1.) I only see a one degree diffrence in the core temps.. thought it would make a bigger diffrence than that.

2.) What does the "Test" on rivetuner really do.. and how should i do a seperate test? Can i use 3DMark05 as a test? and if i do use 3DMark05 as a test am i watchin the screen for artifacts or am i just comparing scores or maybe theres somthing more..

Temps listed as Idle/Load

3.) if you had my setup and your temps where 32/40 and you overclocked to the 550/1150 and your temps where 33/42... would you be under the impression that you can pull a much better OC? or is 42C a good temp to stay at?

Also how many times would you run 3dMark05(Free version) to get your Load temp readings?

JasonDTM said:
Loop the last test for a few hours :)

thanks.. turns out my temps more like 55C under heavy load..

but i was forced to manually loop it.. is ther a way to auto loop the test in the free version?

is it odd that i cant get my temp over 46C in 2+ hours of game... only 3dmark can get it that high?

Are you watching the temps as you game, or checking them after closing it? Temps can drop a few degrees in that time...

But, if 46C is your high in gaming, be proud! Mine idles that high...

brickout said:
Are you watching the temps as you game, or checking them after closing it? Temps can drop a few degrees in that time...

But, if 46C is your high in gaming, be proud! Mine idles that high...

No I have Rivatuner watching temps and after i exit game (about 1hour and 45 min last time i played) i simply do the Mark High Core Temp and it seems to top off bout 46C but if i let it run and use 3D mark 2005 my high core temp is 55

Not really a questions as much as an observation..

3DMark 2005 just seems to be able to heat up my card better than any game.

I think you should cool your memory cause mine has noo memory cooling and its gets super hot. I mean i cant even put my finger on it.

By adding ramsinks, I managed to gain a small ammount of Memory OC, it was definately a good choice to sink them. :thup:

Back