• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie needs your opinions..o/cing p3 733

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzkid

dear all,
grettings from the philippines, im mark and im new in this o/c-ing thing. i need some help with o/cing my p3-733... my motherboard is a soyo s7-7vba133... the board has some o/c features: chaging pci clocks... memory tweaking... etc... i tried reading the manual... i cant try to figure out how to o/c my stinking pc... anyone out there who had experience o/c-ing with a soyo board like mine? thanks alot guys... your help would be appreciated:D

All 133 MHz (EB) PIIIs are poor choices for O/C. Intel CPUs have fixed multipliers which can't be changed so you can only increase the FSB to O/C. A PIII 733 has a fixed multiplier of 5.5 so even if you max out the FSB at 150 MHz, you're only getting to 5.5 X 150 = 825 MHz.

If you get a 100 MHz CPU, such as a PIII 700, you'll do much better. The fixed multiplier is 7, so just setting the FSB at 133 MHz gets you to 7 X 133 MHz = 933 MHz. My PIII 700 has been running at 994 MHz (FSB = 142 MHz) for about a year and a half now.

Spazzkid, Hi

Your Soyo motherboard should have bus frequency setting. It is also called Front Side Bus (FSB). Most aftermarket motherboards have that option. That is what you need to increase in order to overclock. Your system may already be set at default speed of set in stone 5.5 clock multiplier x 133mhz FSB. FSB can be changed. Raise the FSB by few notches. If your mobo allows to increase the FSB by increments of 1 mhz, try changing it to 138mhz or 140mhz and your system may not need any voltage adjustment at this point. This method is general.. works in many aftermarket overclocking motherboards. Feel free to post any questions and any of us should be able to help. Good luck! :p

thanks

hey guys, thanks for the advice. ill be investing on a good cpu cooler before i plunge into o/c-ing my cpu... ill try to do what you guys told me... alot of people told me a 733 wouldnt really be a good o/c-er but i guess i have to make good what i have already... peace out

spazz:D

Nice to see you FFFN

Yep with a 133 FSB default it makes it tougher but with some cooling tricks and a few BIOS tweaks you can get a good overclock you just have to work a little harder. Once you get a good HSF for your CPU and you give it a good overclocking and get stuck post back and we will help you climb the wall. :)

Back