• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get more out of my vcard/computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bestmaxx

Hello here is my specs:
CPU: 3.4E socket 478
MOBO: MSI NEO 2
RAM: 2 gigs of Samsung (4x512)
PSU: 430w tru power
HDD: 300gb Maxtor
Vcard: BFG 6800 GT OC
Scard: SB audigy 2 platinum

I want to know what i can/should do to get more out of my computer..
I have coolbits installed on my vcard, and i am oc/d to 384/1005 with no glitching.. I can go higher but i get slight glitches.

What all could i do to improve my 3dmark score... Is there anything software wise that i could use to improve performance?

Video card mods? this whole overclocking thing is new to me.. What all could i do to get a lot more out of this card?

I heard i couldnt OC with 2 gigs of ram.... I tried oc with a p4p800 with a generic psu and it fried my mobo and the psu.. I have heard that the PSU caused it, but i am wiery of ocing the cpu.

well, you can start very low, youve got a preety good mobo for overclocking, and thats a damn good psu. You should be ok

also try to get some better cooling on the v card, im guseeing that you have a stock cooler on it??

Well here is what i have did..

I am OCed to 3.28.. I know thats weak.. I had a 3.2 not a 3.4 lol.. OOPS

Yes that is stock cooling on the BFG...

What type of cooling would you recommend? I also have a p4p800 deluxe sitting in the closet lol..

i can only get to 3.3 without crashing... What kind of cooling do you have on your cpu.. your getting impressive frequencies...

My card is now: 389/1004

pentium 4 3.0c is very capable of hitting the 4.0c mark, im positive that you can get past 3.3c, just not on stock cooling

I woulding go very far with stock cooling you need to get rid of that crap :cool:

oh ya, IDEA!!

if you buy a new cpu cooler you can take you stock HSF and mount it on you video card

That would give you better cooling than anything you can buy

i will try to find a link to this mod

on wat, the xp 90

If so i would get a 92mm panaflow

for the video card mod, look for venom, he is the one who did the mod, pm him if you find him

its 12:05am so im gonna go to bed, I will get back to you tomorrow :)

shellshock said:
pentium 4 3.0c is very capable of hitting the 4.0c mark, im positive that you can get past 3.3c, just not on stock cooling

I woulding go very far with stock cooling you need to get rid of that crap :cool:

Pentium "C" is northwood. Bestmaxx has a Prescott Pentium "E"

Northwoods overclock alot better then Prescotts do. With northwood's it seems as if there is not limit if you have sufficent cooling. Prescotts seem to top out pretty quick compared to Northwoods. I guess that is part of the reason I went to the dark side and got an AMD 64.

Your most improvement will come from your video card. I would try and get either a stock heatsink of some kind on there or get a Zalaman. Arctic Silencers don't do very much for improving temperatures.

Also, what are the timings on that ram? If you can get the CAS latency down to 2, you can also add on to your 3Dmark score.

Heres what i see:
"CONFIGURE DRAM TIMING BY SPD" that was enabled.. when i disabled it, it gave me these options:

CAS# latency 3 clock
RAS# precharge 4 clock
RAS# to CAS# Delay 4 clock
Precharge Delay 8 clock
burst length 8

Those were at default... What should i change them to... Your the person i have been looking for... How do you like your dual 6600's?

What kind of ram do you have? Like what model number and brand? I can tell you the timings that the ram should be set to if you can tell me the model number and brand. If you set it incorrectly you computer will not boot and you will have to reset the bios. I gained about 500 points in 3Dmark05 by settings my cas latency from 3 to 2.

As for the 6600's, I absolutely love them. They are the best cards I have ever owned. I would highly recommend Leadtek to anyone. I was able to overclock my 6600's by 97mhz on the core and 220 on the memory. I gained about 2000 points in 3Dmark05 by doing this.

Back