• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high +12v reading on me new Fortron FSP350-60THN-P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Techno Pride

Registered
hi, bought a new Bluestorm 350w today. model no FSP350-60THN-P. I am using a 24->20pin adaptor on my setup, which happens to be a mobile barton 2.1GHz and an Asus A7n8x Dlx.

I tried powering up my rig with only the following connected

AXP 2.1GHz
Zalman 7000A-AlCu @ 5.5v
Asus A7N8X DLX
512MB Kingston
GF256DDR 32MB AGP4X
Silicon Image 0680A RAID PCI
Logitech Keyboard PS2
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1 USB

The BIOS reads ~13v for my +12v line. Is something wrong!?

Hate to say it, but that PSU isn't too well matched to the Asus A7N8X, which powers the CPU from 5v. You might actually be presenting too much load for the Fortron to handle on the 5v. If you have access to a meter, I would measure all the rails (especially the 5v) to be sure it's holding up.

Note that this PSU has two 12v rails - one can be measured from a drive molex (12v1), while the other one needs to be measured from the 4 pin 12v motherboard connector. Any black wire will do for a ground.

hi thanks for the reply.

The Fortron is rated 21A for the +5v line, which seems like it's more than enough for the barton.

I'm very reluctant to feed 13v to my harddrives :(

I'll probably get down to measuring the 12v with a multimeter when i'm free.

Barely enough for a Barton... however, there are other things running off that line too.

Your 13v is probably monitored from the 12v2 (CPU/motherboard) line - due to this being a 5v board, that rail is likely not getting used at all, thus the abnormal reading. Your 12v1 (the one that powers the drives) should measure closer to normal on the meter.

great...

the 5v reads 4.6~ in the bios and on a multimeter

the 12v reads >13v as well.

everything goes back to normal when i plug in a Truepower 380S.

something is very wrong.

it made no difference even when I underclocked my barton to 600MHz (default mobile speed).

I had the psu for less than 24 hours :argue:

It's overloaded, as I expected, on the 5v. It probably works ok, it's just not right for that board. An RMA would likely produce the same results on the next one. I would either put it aside for a future build or sell it and replace with one of Fortron's single 12v rail designs. I use the 530w for my 5v hungry system. Might be worthwhile to RMA it as a preventative measure first - this one could have taken damage from the overload.

Back