• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

36 or 74 raptor or 2 cheapies in raid 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I dont care for the space, I have an old 20g maxtor and I do not even come close to filling it up. I just want it for the performance.

Worth extra money for the 74?

Should I just get two cheapies and go raid 0?

--pak

I would get 2x40 gig 7200 rpm drives with 8 mb cache and put them in RAID 0. Less than the price of one 36 gig raptor and performance-wise you will not notice a difference. The 74 gig raptors are faster than a RAID set up but now you are talking $180 versus less than $100.

wait until theres a sale at bestbuy, compusa, or circuit city. You can usually get 80gb drives (40's arent on sale much) for like $30-40. I think my dad got a 120gb drive for like $70 a little while ago, they are way cheaper than newegg for IDE hard drives.

i dunno, i recently moved from a single seagate 40gb 8mb cache to 2x80gb 8 mb cache seagates in raid 0 and ive noticed my load times significantly decreased, in both game loading and the actual os loading.

i dunno, i recently moved from a single seagate 40gb 8mb cache to 2x80gb 8 mb cache seagates in raid 0 and ive noticed my load times significantly decreased, in both game loading and the actual os loading.
The new drives are either faster or the reformat speeded things up- or its all in your head.

When news broke about raid being useless for the desktop, they tried different raid configs for several game load times and found raid to be no faster, and in some cases a bit slower.

I'll take half the drives, half the headaches, and twice the performance.

Raptor, in whichever flavor your budget allows. I personally have a 74, a 250, and an 80, and I've got about 30 gigs free(total)

Wouldn't have it any other way, Raptor was the best decision I made for my computah evAr!!!1

The new drives are either faster or the reformat speeded things up- or its all in your head.

When news broke about raid being useless for the desktop, they tried different raid configs for several game load times and found raid to be no faster, and in some cases a bit slower.

First, those conclusions were using 2x10K RPM Raptors, not 2x7200 RPM Drives.

For some reasons, Raptors don't like RAID. My RAID 0 is just as fast (if not faster) as my old 36GB Raptor, and I got 2x80gb HDDs for 80 total, so I'm not complaining.

The real deal is: If you can get 2xRAID 0 HDDs for less than a single raptor, that is by far the better deal. Sustained transfer speeds are incredible.

Elif Tymes said:
First, those conclusions were using 2x10K RPM Raptors, not 2x7200 RPM Drives.

For some reasons, Raptors don't like RAID. My RAID 0 is just as fast (if not faster) as my old 36GB Raptor, and I got 2x80gb HDDs for 80 total, so I'm not complaining.

The real deal is: If you can get 2xRAID 0 HDDs for less than a single raptor, that is by far the better deal. Sustained transfer speeds are incredible.

I'm still undecided on this topic, a raptor 36GB is about 80AR, 74GB is about 120AR, 2 X 60GB SATA 8MB 7200RPM maxtor is 100 no rebate, so they are really around the park, raid 0 woud give better transfer rate for large files, but most of the time, window deals with small files and seeking time, both of these are the disavantage of a raid 0 config, so maybe a raptor for window and raid 0 for storage? There is also the 250GB IDE 16MB cache for 130 no rebate :), that seems like a good performer too, worth mentioning as it's doing real good on all the test, plus there's no raid hassel and the storage size is up there with the larger drives.

I would go with a raptor for OS, Games, Apps.

Get another drive to store your data/pagefile (video, music, documents, etc.).

EDIT: I haven't had good luck with Maxtors... so I'd stay away from them...

2x36gb > 1x74gb
My reasoning is, the only thing, other than space, that the 74gb has on a 36gb raptor is a bit faster access times, because of the platter density, which you will NOT notice. But any two drives in raid 0, be it 2x36 gig raptors or some 7200rpm drives, they will perform on par, but most definately better than a a single 74gb raptor. If a single 36 is virtually identical to a 74 (other then in space), then obvious the advantages of raid-0 with 2 drives will beat a single drive.

apu318 said:
2x36gb > 1x74gb
My reasoning is, the only thing, other than space, that the 74gb has on a 36gb raptor is a bit faster access times, because of the platter density, which you will NOT notice. But any two drives in raid 0, be it 2x36 gig raptors or some 7200rpm drives, they will perform on par, but most definately better than a a single 74gb raptor. If a single 36 is virtually identical to a 74 (other then in space), then obvious the advantages of raid-0 with 2 drives will beat a single drive.
I'm going to have to disagree. I'm going to say 1x74 > 2x36 RAID 0. This is due to the better access time of the 74 compared to the 36. Not only that, but since you have to wait for TWO drives instead of just one in RAID 0, the access time is increased further. At this point the 2x36 is only winning in the bandwidth catagory and according to Vio1's testing, 2 raptors are about the same speed as 1 raptor and IIRC the two raptors were actually slightly SLOWER overall due to the increased access time.

First I want to say thank you for all the replies and secound I want to say thank you for giving me a head ache. :p

I guess this is one of those things that Im going to have to just try on my own.

Im leaning towards just getting 1x36 gig raptor. I really dont think I want to spend the money to raid 2 raptors. For that price, ill go grab myself a 6800.
But im going to hang out for a week or so to see if I see any good deals on some 7200's, if not, Ill buckle down and spend the money on a raptor.

thanx for all the replies.

--pak

Cyrix_2k said:
slightly SLOWER overall due to the increased access time.

No, you're agreeing because I stated about the slower access times. But its very minute, you wont notice the difference. I've tried both setups. Personally, I like the 2x36gb in RAID-0 ALOT better for image editing and audio editing and such. Gaming was also pretty good too.. not as bad as it's cracked up to be. On my friends 74 gig, It felt just as fast on the desktop and all, but there was a difference in the other things mentioned previously. So, don't worry about the access times. It won't bother you as you wont really notice, if at all. But you will notice the high transfer rates of RAID-0.

apu318 said:
No, you're agreeing because I stated about the slower access times. But its very minute, you wont notice the difference. I've tried both setups. Personally, I like the 2x36gb in RAID-0 ALOT better for image editing and audio editing and such. Gaming was also pretty good too.. not as bad as it's cracked up to be. On my friends 74 gig, It felt just as fast on the desktop and all, but there was a difference in the other things mentioned previously. So, don't worry about the access times. It won't bother you as you wont really notice, if at all. But you will notice the high transfer rates of RAID-0.

I agree. There are some people who are taking the few reviews out there on desktop raid 0 as a religious statement. I'll give that raid 0 is not as advantageous for a desktop rig as a file server. It is true that in small transfers and seek times a raptor can meet and/or beat a raid 0 array with 2 X 7200rpm drives. Raid 0 has it's definate advantages though, especially with large file transfers. You also have to consider the $ per GB. You're getting alot more space for the dollar with the raid 0 array.

My vote goes for 2X80GB drives in raid 0. Like someone said earlier, wait for one of the chain stores to have a sale. They do it all the time.

J.

apu318 said:
I disagreed because I feel a single 74gb Raptor would be faster for games, which I'm assuming is what he wants the drive for since his sig says his rig is built for the "World of Warcraft". I agree the 2x36's would be faster for massive sequential data access though.

Back