• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up BitTorrent tracker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

douglasb

I have some home videos ripped from VHS into mpeg, avi, and wmv formats, and wish to upload them to my site. The only way I can realistically do this without going over my bandwidth is through something like BitTorrent. What are some good trackers/frontends, that are also easy to set up? Maybe something in PHP. I don't care if it uses MySQL or not, but I just want something that is fairly straightforward to set up. I've seen a few that seem good, but they either have no documentation, or the English in the documentation is so terrible that it might as well not have any. I want something that I can set up on the server side, not something like Azareus where I would need to be always running it for the tracker to work. TYIA

uh unless you have other seeders it won't be different than a regular download.

if one person is downloading at a time, your using the same if not more bandwith.

azureus can create torrents and be a tracker.

and while it would be more benifical to have multiple people downloading, once that one person is done, they can stay connected and upload one copy to another person.

I guess I should have clarified. I want to have a way to share this without it taking up space on my host, and I was under the impression that BitTorrent would also use little/none of the bandwidth I have available there. I thought about using Usendit, but it is just so slow. Any other ideas?

The tracker wouldn't use much bandwidth on your host, but you would still need someone with the torrent seeded in the first place for the first (few) people to download off before it becomes more widely seeded.

Back