• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If AMD doesn't like OCing, why not just lock the HTT and the multi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

Not that I'm complaining, of course, but if AMD doesn't like ppl OCing their CPUs (evident by the fact that everything but the most expencive procs are top locked on the multi), why not just lock the HTT AND the multi? Wouldn't be hard, AFAIK, and it makes better buisness sense (no point in selling a $500 product when your $200 one performes just as well).

Again, not that I'm complaining, just trying to understand it...

The reason I beleive is that by locking the multiplier, you can still OC, and they still do business to overclockers like us, but you are multi limited and if you want more out of it, you have to buy a higher end model.

Still accomplishes their goal, and they still do business to overclockers. If the multipliers were not locked, people could probably get away with buying lower end CPU's, and if they locked the HTT too, no overclockers would buy AMD.

not really, just because it's multi-locked, dosn't mean you're not topping it out, in fact, most of us are doing this while using lower multipliers w/ higher fsb, so locking them means nothing unless their future processors will actually be limited by this(what a change that would be)

and this is so off-topic but i just can't hold back, i did this minutes ago

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/9323083586.jpg&s=x2

this is real, my best time, no world record(30seconds short of), but still nice i think, im sorry, and if deemed unsuibtable for these forums, i shall remove it

locking the multi wont do much when you can get 300+ fsb and even run the ram async if needed. Limiting the HTT to say 220 on all the cpus except the FX chips would do alot more damage but amd will lose tons of customers

Well and also snice the first Slot A athlons, the first socket A athlons the multis were un-locked or easy to unlock. The O/Cing crowd love to use AMD's B/C of this feature. And now with A64's I a fine with not having higher multipliers unlock. I think AMD just wants people not to be able to repaint the bridges and rebadge chips as higher end models as they were doing with the early bartons and moblies. Now that the bridges are hardcoded in side and we can't change or hack them. I think AMD will have no intetions of locking the multies or HTT Bus. Personally if AMD did this they might loose some customers as O/Cing is kinda got them going.

What AMD does not like is people that remark their processors as something faster than it actually is. That is why the maximum multiplier you can use is the default multiplier of your chip. I don't see why they would have a problem with enthusiasts adjusting HTT and lowering multipliers.

Well, honestly, most people do not overclock, and buy what is a guaranteed "speed". That's why AMD still sells the "faster" chips.

They lock CPUs not to limit enthusiasts OCing them , but to prevent dishonest OEMs from selling a low rated chip as a high one. The XPs could be set to look legit when the PC boots at the rating they were clocked to and any non tech savy consumer would never be the wiser.

I am sure they have no problem with people like us buying a new "cheap" CPU frequently because even when we sell off the old ones, we are still increasing their revenue.

Back