• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a X850XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darthanakin23

I just got a X850XT (520/540 Default) with stock cooling, I have it overclocked to PE clocks which is 540/560 and its running without artifacts and when I run ATI Tool artifact scanner, it can run for over 40 minutes with no issues but what worries me is the temp. At idle its at like 37 celsius, but at full load it can hit like 75 celsius. Is this normal? Thanks for the reply.

this is normal. All x800 and x850 cards try to keep their temp around 75C.
Any higher and they start spinning the fan faster.
You could use ATI tool to control the fan yourself, but 75C is nothing to worry about.

edit: What concerns me about my X850XT is the annoying noise of the fan, which is louder than the rest of my system, even at only 5% speed. :bang head

nice :thup: is 540/560 the highest you can get? btw xtpe clocks are 540/590, well mine are, im sure you could get a better OC with better cooling, why not add the gpu to your WC loop? my gpu is loading at 50C with 1.7v(1.4v is stock) using an mcw50 with a dinky 80mm radiator and small pump cooling both the gpu and cpu, hoping to get lower temps with a 120mm heatercore and mcp350 thats being shipped as we speak

Dukemurmur said:
get an artic silencer...or put on a new fan...

yeah of course, I've bought a gfx card for 400€ which was supposed to have a better (true) and quieter (reviews) cooling solution than other cards.

Now I put in 25€ for a silencer and void my warranty. Sorry but this thing goes back to the retailer - it's still in the 14 days return period.

but this is offtopic and doesn't belong here.

Well since the X850xt has the exact same stock cooling as the PE I clocked mine at 540/590 and ati tool artifact scanner sees no problems. Is this safe? After 36 minutes of artifact scanner in Ati tool it hits like 71 celsius, this is ok?

Dukemurmur said:
get an artic silencer...or put on a new fan...
actualy i am going to have to strongly disagree with u on that one i bought one for my card and even though it performed a little better than the stock it was a peice of crap that didnt fit or make good contact with anything the ram and core werent in fukk contact with the hsf and this isnt only on mine i have seen this on all of the X8x0 scilencers i ended up geting a zalman vf700-cu and that thing cools the whole card much better and it gave a 5degree lower idle and ADDED 10 MHZ OC TO MY RAM the ram sinks that came with my zalman work better than the active cooling on my scilencer

and i wouldent worry about any temp on a x850 until it gets to 90c vid ards generaly run hoter than cpus by a lot ive heard of 6800s idleing at 90c and loading at 110 and being fine no artifacts :eek:

as for ur card id recomend flashing it with a xtpe bios i did that to mine and it works as if it was a xtpe even ocs like a real one infact id say that it is a real pe now :cool:

Last edited:
Sean I don't have a floppy drive, is there anyway for me to flash the BIOS within Windows???

u can flash it with a cdrw and a win 98 cd or a dos bootable cd put flashrom.exe and the bios on the rw and boot from the 98 cd then put in throw in the rw

darthanakin23 said:
At idle its at like 37 celsius, but at full load it can hit like 75 celsius. Is this normal? Thanks for the reply.

75C isnt nothing.

my X800 XT AIW was peggin' 94C on its stock cooler. but I then installed this bad boy (Zalman VF-700cu) on my card and now the temps will not go over 60C no matter what. ;)

x800xt1.jpg

Back