• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comcast Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

Anyone else currently having problems with comcast? I did my DSL reports speed test and I was getting half a megabit when I usually get between 3-4. I noticed this when I was playing CS and my ping was about 200. I know it's not my network because I pinged my router and it's less then 10 MS but when I ping yahoo and google it's about 200 per trip. Is this just me or are they upgrading or something and I just gotta wait it through.

I would power cycle your modem. Comcast has been upgrading their service with those at 3Mb to 4 Mb and those who were at 4 get a jump to 6Mb down and 768K up and you need to power cycle it for it to change..

Also maybe your node is becoming full with neighbors taking up some of bandwidth.....

ok I just got contact with some of my friends with school, my friend matt is having the same problem but my friend jera isn't. Jera is on the other side of town though so we figure he is on another node. I tried cycling my modem but I figure they are probably doing some sorta work, so I'll just see if it's working tommorow.

I live in a small village surronded by a larger Township. We all have comcast. The Village is served by Comcast (Chicago) while the Township itself is serviced by Comcast (South Bend). I'm not sure why it's split like that. Since the day we got Comcast, every now and then, service would slow to a crawl. I replaced my router, checked my internal network, etc. Come to find out, Comcast was having trouble. Of course, any call I made to Comcast was met with 'It must be your machine' from the tech support staff. The ONLY reason I found out differently is because I attend the Village board meetings and serve on the Planning Board.

My best recomendation is to simply call Comcast tech support to log a complaint. I would go along with the, unplug the modem from the router and all for at least the first tme or two. After that, just tell them that you simply want them to log the call and nothing else. When they finally do fix the problem, demand credit for each day that you call with the problem. It will be a painfull process. :bang head

I had techs garuntee that the problem was my modem. A call to Motorola disproved that. Anoher tech on that same day told me it was my network card. With all of the items that tech support told me I had to replace, I replaced none of them. Now that they fixed thier equipment, it all works fine. :bang head :bang head

Good luck.

OK, you'll need to bypass the router, and also as many splitters as possible. One needs to realize that normally, the cable company is not responsible for inside wiring, and splitters or bad cables, or cables bent at extreme angles, will degrade your signal.

Then, with all that bypassed, time to get some info from them.

Either way, this is the 7th time I have posted this (although I have added more each time):
Transmit Power: Needs to be below +52dB
Downstream Power: Needs to be between -11 and +11 dB
UPSNR: Needs to be above 25 (lower WILL cause packet loss, and flaps)
DWNSNR: Needs to be above 30 (lower will cause packet loss, and flaps)

Bad signals in any of these areas just means that somewhere between your cable modem and the CMTS (node) there is a problem. They should be able to see what the numbers are on the blade, if the blade is bad, that's the problem. If blade is OK, the problem is between the blade and that modem. That does include problems in the inside wiring, which they may charge you to fix. It may also be a problem with the drop to your house, or the feeder line to your curb.

You can find these readings through the 192.168.100.1 IP address. It may require a login, you can find the default logins through Google.

Ambit: root, root

Flaps, is when your signal is there, then not, then there, then not. That's a-flappin for you, and I know our ISP has a chart/reading from the modem that will show a list of flaps on that.

Best way to check for packet loss:
(run-->cmd)
ping -t -l 1410 yahoo.com -f
Let run for 30 secs to 1 min.
Ctrl+C to end, the statistics will show you what packet loss you have.

How to view all active connections, even hidden ones that may be sucking bandwidth:
(run-->cmd)
netstat
This will show you all active connections. Look for the foreign address. If you can't figure out what it is, then go to:
http://www.arin.net/whois/
And enter the IP address there. You want to have minimal open connections for testing your speeds.

Speedtest for RR in Texas:
http://www.austin.rr.com/speedtest/speed.asp
Various speedtests for California:
http://www.testmyspeed.com/speedtests/california.htm

You'll get all that, either from them or from the actual modem yourself. Bad signal again can mean there are problems on the line somewhere. Having two people in same area having problems means little, as two people can have bad splitters. I am in the industry, I have seen it happen. Two people, bad speeds/connection, both bad wiring.

If all the signal tests come back just fine, then the problem is between the modem and you.

I hate to say it, but have have dominated many slow speeds complaints by doing the above tests. I am harder to get a credit from than getting blood from a turnip. Not that I don't want to help you, but I want to make sure that if is is their problem, you have the info to show them, and that if it is your problem, that you don't cause issues with them when it is your problem.

All the above info should help. It would be best if you had all the info from above, BEFORE you call them. Then you can show packet loss, show signal degradation, show slow speeds, show no spyware, show no hidden active connections. If you show all that, then they should get someone out there for free.

Last edited:
Comcast sucks. I've been having problems ever since they boosted to 4Mbps. I would rather be at 3Mbps and have 3Mbps speed than be at 4Mbps and have like dialsuck speeds.

Back