• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnetic heat exchanger will cool down your CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegreek

A JAPANESE COMPANY has developed a way of exchanging heat that will use a magnetic fluid and will be used to cool down your microprocessor without needing electricity.

According to the Nikkei Business Daily, Da Vinci's device, developed together with boffins at the University of Tokyo, will use metal alloy nanoparticles mixed with oil. The report said a hollow magnet in the piping will act like a pump to move the magnetic fluid, drawing the nano oil into the heat exchanger and drawing heat from a CPU.

The hot oil then switches to the other side of the heat exchanger where it cools down. And so it goes.

The fact it won't need electricity means that such a heat exchanging pump can be made much smaller than ordinary heat drawing systems. The report said that such heat exchangers would be suitable for notebooks, and will cost a mere ¥1,500 when they go into mass production next year.

SOURCE

Liquid cooling for notebooks looks like it's comming soon...

pretty intersting. I imagine eventually the technology will get equiptment small enough and of low enough voltage so as to make our current cooling methods completely outmoded.

Wow, I'd heard of lots of liquid cooling developments for laptops, but this takes things to a whole other level... Magnetic tubing that pumps constantly? wow

Magnetic sheilding is a wonderful thing, it keeps my TV and monitor from changing to funky colors and it could be applied here as well. The liquid only contains metal particles and the density change from added heat (my guess) causes the pumping action.

Free coolingsound like a good thing to me. Especially if it starts around $15.00!! I have never felt good about fifteen dollar heatsinks when they moved air, and had fans.

Cfn Nexus said:
magnet + $$$ electronics = BAD
This is gettting so old, look around in your computer and count about 5-20 DIFFERENT magnets in your system. magnets are an intergral part of electronics, you just have to make sure they are placed correctly.

yeah and on top of your cpu doesn't exactly sound like the greatest place imo. magnetized oil, magnetizing the block.

Back