• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid0 SATA HDD and moving to a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcat92

Registered
I currently have a couple of Hitachi 80 gig Hdd in a Raid0 inside my abit nf7-s mb. I'm not sure what the SATA controller it has. But I was wondering, if and when I upgrade my computer, how I can set up the Raid0 hdd in my new computer. Will I have to reinstall the hd from scratch using the new controller on the new computer? Will I have to reformat? Can I just connect it with the SATA card and Raid enabled in the Bios? The hdd has win2k installed and has 1 partition.

thanks.

There may be a small chance that you can just put the RAID over, but i won't bet on it. Backup your data and rebuild the array seems best.

nf7-s uses silicon image SI3112 sata controller. If the new mobo uses the same it should swap over. Otherwise i'm not sure, it's worth a try. Be aware that swapping the mainboard to a different model, especially a different chipset, can wreak havok on an OS. It can sometimes take a good bit of work to get rid of all the old chipset and integrated peripheral drivers and get the new ones installed.

J.

The linky in my sig may be useful for this...

Here's an excerpt...

Using the PROMISE controller or switching from VIA to PROMISE:
A lot of people have questions on how to activate the PROMISE controller or switch over from the VIA controller without reformatting their HDD. This is how it's done: (You need to have your XP install CD)
  1. Copy the PROMISE SATA drivers to a floppy.
  2. Turn off your computer and switch your HDD to the PROMISE controller
  3. Turn on goto the BIOS; Advanced > OnBoard Devices Configuration > Onboard Promise Controller [Enabled] > Operating Mode [IDE]
  4. In the BIOSchange Boot priority to CD and exit BIOS
  5. Pop in your XP CD and press F6 (look carefully for the message at the bottom of the screen)
  6. Pop in your Floppy and let XP copy the PROMISE Drivers.
  7. Exit install when asked for.
  8. We are done!
[*] If the above method doesn't work, follow the same steps only let XP repair the existing installation. You should not lose any data.

Just replace VIA with your current RAID chipset and Promise for the chipset you move to. A repair install would probably be best in your case, IMO.

This is only the software-only configuration. A RAID Configuration betwen two seperate controller brands will not work. For example, Promise's RAID setup will not be recognized by intel's RAID configuration Utility.

Hope that helps! :)

Back