• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BP on AXP/SDRAM, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi Foldaholics,

I just realised that if I move some RAM around I might get 512Mb in a SDRAM board running an Athlon XP. Since RAM bandwidth is just around 300-400Mbyte/sec on that, I'm wondering if that will actually get any more PPD than the rig is doing now on non-BP (about 70ppd)

Also I might be able to get 384MB in an AXP/DDR rig, if I had that running linux would it actually get big packets with the flag enabled. You guys seem to be saying the BPs take around 170Mb, so a tuned up linux rig with 384MB should easily be able to have 256Mb free RAM. I see people saying the client checks for 512Mb installed RAM however much is free.

Thanks,

Road Warrior

i'm foldin' bp's on a duron with sdram (abut 384mbs)... and sure, it might make 50ppd... but it gets them finished...

as fr the other... i think it checks for free ram

More than 1000mhz would have SSE so that'd make a big difference in folding gromacs WU's.

Since BP are 2x the points vs normal wu's, and the performance difference of sdram vs ddr on gromacs is not nearly as much, I'd say go for BP (if you can find them).

Back