• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewall barely holding on!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

hey guys.. i moved to germany from romania.. where i had cable internet.. and ZoneAlarm as a firewall.. the intrusions it showed.. where lets say 500 in 2-3 years.. so nothing important..

but i have DSL here in germany... and in 5 days i have 17844 intrusions.. i mean WTF.. do i need to buy another firewall to back zone alarm?

zone alarm is set to internet zone security hight and trusted zone medium.
i mean.. when i connect to the internet.. the first 4 minutes i have full speed.. after 10 minutes.. it slows in half.. my guess is from the "attacks"

any suggestions?
activate the xp firewall aswell?

Deactivate Zonealarm and activate the XP firewall only. You obviously don't know what an "attack" is.

excuse my spelling access attempts.. not attacks

are you saying that xp firewall is better than zone alarm?
and i have sp1 not sp2 on my xp

keep zone alarm. Most of the "attacks" are probably nothing to worry about. But to be safe run some spyware and virus sweeps. And how many comps are on you network (if you are on a network) most of the attacks are probably just normal network traffic, or spyware apps trying to access the internet.

I hate Zone Alarm. Windows firewall is more flexable. Zone Alarm does alot of silent blocking and leaves you guessing why your programs aren't working. Update to SP2. Its been out for 8 months.

I disagree with Ebola. Leave them both on. Windows firewall only protects you from intrusions not from sending information from you computer that would be sent by a trojan. Where as ZA protect both incoming and outgoing. I run both and have no problems at all. If you really want more protection then pick up a router and run you connection through that. There are some sites that you can test your connection for weaknesses. You might check this thread on links to security sites also. ---> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=372181 I posted it a while back. I personally never, never, take an attemped intrusion lightly, it is an invasion of privacy and that ticks me off. Good Luck.

The Duck

i hate sp2.. it crashes some programs i work with, windows load time decreases.. its not my favorite...

i`ll enable windows firewall.. to see how it comes along

i`m the only pc on the network. So basicly there is no LAN.. i`m up to 18200 access attempts... and yes i had some spyware... i cleaned all but one.. wich was not resident in memory but it would not let me delete it.. and all in memory are killed... no bugs or spyware atm untill i restart the pc.. then spoolsv will initiate.

If you can find a spare low end PC, build a smoothwall. Then you will have some protection.

Unless you're going to use mods on the smoothwall, you'll get just as much protection from a standard SOHO router, like the Linksys WRT54G.

Out of the (proverbial) box a smoothwall is just a NAT box with some IDS built in.

Back