• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux and PCI Express Graphics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reverend

Ijust upgraded my system (look in sig below) and went to install Red hat 9 but it cant get x server to start :bang head . I am supposing that this is due to a pci express graphics card which I'm sure that doesnt have drivers for. Do you guys know of another distro that will work?????

Thanks

i would suggest going with gentoo stage 1, you would be sure to get everything you need. there is alot of good support for stuff like this on the gentoo forum. but i dont know anything abut redhat.

this guy had problems with his x700 not running xorg. he posted his fixed log file for reference.
linky

The VESA driver should work no matter what. IIRC redhat also has a text based setup.
But you really should update to a recent distro, like fedora if you want to stay with a Redhat distro..
RH9 is what? 2 year, 3 years old by now? No one ever thought about the X700 back then. PCI-E or AGP doesn't matter.
The latest ATI fglrx driver directly from ati.com supports the X700, but the driver won't work with your old X11 version from Redhat9, so you have to update to a recent distro with a x.org based version of X11

Back