• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the point of burning-in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"burning in" is the concept of running a processor at a higher speed with lower voltage. You attempt to run a processor at the same speed with lower voltage than normal in hopes to overclock it higher

is it? i thought burn in is to loop the bench mark program few times.
oh well.:rolleyes:

You guys are both right...
The aim is to let the CPU run at the same speed with lower voltage, this can be sometimes achieved by letting the CPU run full load for some time like 1 or 2 Days...
Lower voltage means lower temps , lower temps = higher OC:D

Hope that helps!

TweaK-FreaK said:
"burning in" is the concept of running a processor at a higher speed with lower voltage. You attempt to run a processor at the same speed with lower voltage than normal in hopes to overclock it higher

Nope you are toally wrong. Burnin is running a benchmark program to stress your cpu for a longer period of time also you should up the voltage, speed while doing this... THen hopefully later you can run it at a higher speed and lower voltage than before you did the burnin

-=UR=- Ranger said:
You guys are both right...
The aim is to let the CPU run at the same speed with lower voltage, this can be sometimes achieved by letting the CPU run full load for some time like 1 or 2 Days...
Lower voltage means lower temps , lower temps = higher OC:D

Hope that helps!

Lower voltage wont help at all.......

euh tomas i can be wrong ... i aint sure
but if you manage to let your cpu run at a lower voltage it is going to be much cooler then at a higher voltage
so it does make a difference
can anyone back me up in this or am i totally wrong?

A burn-in is a techinal term for testing the stability of a component, intel do this to their chips before the are released.
Now to an overclock it has another meaning. Some beleive that running the cpu at 100% load under various differant conditions can improve the overclockabilty of a cpu. One of these methods is to run the cpu at stock speed or lower and a higher voltage and then use a cpu stressing program like prime95, the idea being that when finished the cpu should be able to run stable at a lower voltage than before. Others think you should just burn-in at the highest overclock you can get and then try to push it up slowly. Another method is turning the fan off for a short period of time, and let the cpu heat up. To be honest I've seen noe science in any of these methods, I'm not saying that they don't work, but I wouldn't waste time on the off chance that you get an extra 50mhz or something like that.

Burnin worked for me. When i first got my new CPU i was only able to get my current speed at 1.90v, after running there for a while, i was able to drop to 1.80v, big temp drop.

i12bina3 said:
euh tomas i can be wrong ... i aint sure
but if you manage to let your cpu run at a lower voltage it is going to be much cooler then at a higher voltage
so it does make a difference
can anyone back me up in this or am i totally wrong?

Yup if u can run it lower without loosing stability il do that but it aint called burnin. Burnin is what you do when you have reached the maximum speed, maximum volt without loosing stability Then you run som cpu intensive programs like seti, prime for some days, weeks then if you are lucky you can then up the speed more that before without loosing stability or decrease the vcore voltage so it runs cooler.

Like my old duron 750 would only do 850mhz 1.85v stable before i did some burnin but now it manages 950mhz on 1.8v after running it for some weeks on 850 with 1.85v.

Back