• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Invalid Boot Disk on Fresh Install.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

This happened on my nfs7.

Very weird thing going on right here. Did a fresh install of XP with sp 2 and start up a few dif times fine. Did updates, install nf2 driver and ati drivers. Now I reboot and get insert boot disc. Get this even with cdrom disabled in bios. Weird thing is when I put the Xp disc in, it boots up XP, but w/o it it won't. I can unplug the cd drive and still no go.

Anyone know what is up? Might reinstall in a little while, although I don't want to.

KfistoRok said:
Whoops it actually says boot disc failure.

It might be one of 2 things. The drive is going t!t$ up or you OS root got damaged or corrupted. You can try repairing the install by booting from the CD and proceeding as if you were going to install, but it will ask if you want to repair. Then again, if you just rebuilt the machine, it might just be better to flatten/reinstall it

If its the drive, well, I guess it would be SOL, musta been time to get a bigger/faster one :D

Just boot from the Win XP CD until you get the option to go to the recover console. Enter your windows installation inside the recovery console and run 'fixmbr' it should repair your master boot record.

If that doesn't help. try using the diagnostic software for your drive. If its buggered up that should let you know.

You may also have damaged ntldr and/or ntdetect.com files. You can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console. At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-ROM drive letter), allowing the files to overwrite the old files...

COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

Type Exit to quit and restart. This MSKB article describes the installation and use of the Recovery Console...

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (Q307654)

Flamed_Chip said:
Just boot from the Win XP CD until you get the option to go to the recover console. Enter your windows installation inside the recovery console and run 'fixmbr' it should repair your master boot record.

I did this and it did say the mbr was invalid or something like that. It said it fixed it, but I restarted and it just did the same thing. :shrug:

I'm doing this install, because I got the startpage trojan, if that gives anyone else an idea on how to fix this.

redduc900 said:
You may also have damaged ntldr and/or ntdetect.com files. You can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console. At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-ROM drive letter), allowing the files to overwrite the old files...

COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

Type Exit to quit and restart. This MSKB article describes the installation and use of the Recovery Console...

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (Q307654)

Did this too and it didn't fix the prob. :(

Just to clear things up a bit what the screen says is:

Veryfying DMI pool........
Boot from ATAPI CDROM
Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

However if I put the Xp disc in and don't touch anything it loads Windows fine. This is very frustrating. Reinstalled XP 4 different times with different discs/versions and reformatted each time. :bang head

How are all of your drives connected, and what's the boot order in the BIOS set to (under "Advanced BIOS Features Setup Menu").

I have tried about every order, with and w/o the cdrom in there.

I have two 80 gb wd's on a line. One master/w slave and other set to slave. I can ever unhook the other and make the primary cable select and get the same error. I'm really stumped. :confused:

KfistoRok said:
I have two 80 gb wd's on a line.
You say you have two 80GB WD HDD's "on a line"...meaning what? They're both connected to the primary IDE controller, jumpered as Master and Slave?
One master/w slave and other set to slave. I can ever unhook the other and make the primary cable select and get the same error.
I don't quite understand what you mean here...what exactly is connected to the two onboard IDE controllers, and how are they connected/jumpered i.e. CS, Master/Slave, etc.? Do you have any drives connected to the onboard Sil SATA controller?

Haven't used chkdsk. You do that from command line?

Red they are on the same pata cable. One master and one slave. Maybe since I said master with slave that threw you off, but that's what the jumper says. I have had the same setup for two years and had no problems.

Oh and I ran Western Digital's Windows diagnostic program and the extended check said everything was fine.

Simple fix dude just load up your windows xp and search your xp cd for the files called ntdetect.exe and ntdlr and boot.ini cut and paste these files in c: and edit your boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"

save it and you are set no more booting from cd rom.
With the "fix boot c:" and "fix mbr c:" commands only work when you have a MBR on the hard disk. You can create a new MBR because yours is demaged or nonexistant by using the fix mbr command. Once you fixed or replaced the MBR your system wont boot with out the correct boot.ini directions to your operating system. You can even edit yout boot ini from your control panel (because the boot.ini file is a hidden file) open up system then click on advance then click on settings in the startup and recovery section then click on edit make sure you save before you exit.

Last edited:
RJARRRPCGP said:
The partition isn't active or you selected the wrong HDD.
The drive prep utility built into the win xp installer automatically sets active for the partition. Even if you use another utility to prep the drive, the xp installer should error if the drive formatting is impropper. As for incorrect HDD, it doesn't matter which drive is selected for installation as long as the c: drive contains the basic boot files.

KfistoRok,
Have you tried swapping the master and slave drives. It sounds like a long shot, but it may work. You should be able to swap just by changing the drives jumpers.

Laaaate Bummp. Well, almost a year later I still have this problem. Lmao. Just figured it was time to tackle it again. :D

Does anyone else have any ideas? I've tried everything suggested on this page except switch the drive jumpers. Can I even do that when the Windows install is on my drive with the master jumper set?

When you installed windows, were both drives installed?

Reinstall windows with only the master drive installed, then restart and see if you get into windows fine. If you do, shut down, plug in the second drive, then restart again and you should be fine. Do not have both drives connected while installing.

BTW, don't use cable select. Make sure the drive on the end of the cable is set to Master, and the drive in the middle of the cable is set to Slave.

Well the problem actually started happening out of the blue before the install. In the first post I meant even after a reinstall I had this problem. I will check the jumper on the secondary drive, but I've unhooked it before and still got the same issue. Why would a secondary hard drive on an install be an issue? Never heard of that before.

Back