• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Project Lian Li PC-V1200B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GML3G0

Movind this thread from the wrong section to the proper section:

I think I'll sell my Praetorian for around $75 (reasonable?) on eBay. It's in pretty good shape except one screw in front is broken but I glued it back on for looks and a few inner scratches on the metal from the clip on my anti-static wrist strap.

Anyways, I'll buy the Lian Li V1200B, a pretty nice looking case. I haven't seen it in person. Is it as good looking as my Praetorian? I might cool the Northbridge if Danger Den releases the NB cooler that is compatable with the DFI they said they were going to come out with. Also, OCZ RAMblocks for my video card. Dunno yet which one I'm getting. Anyways, the plan is get ~600-$650 for the X800 XT, Abit AV8, Winchester 3200+, and XP-90. Then buy maybe an X800 XL PCIe, or maybe a 6800 GT depending on prices and what new cards are out, Venice 3000+/3200+ depending on price, and DFI LanParty Ultra-D.

I lose about $100-150 for the new parts, and spend a few hundred on the W/C.

Layout:

mycase7td.jpg

I will get the 0 degree things so I can attach the tubing to the video card easier. 1 Black Ice Extreme 120mm. The fans that come with the case will suffice for the rad, right? I will hook them up to the Vantec Nexus, which I will also buy.

EDIT: Scratch that, I will not cool the Northbridge. Also, does the rad need one fan on each side, or will one fan on one side do?

Pump
CPU Block
Res
1 x Rad - Does this come with a shroud?
and tubing of my choice (1/2" right) and a GPU block for whatever card I will be upgrading to this summer.

Just curious why do you need DVD-ROM when you had DVD+RW in there? :-/ anyway you don't need a RAD Mount and no need to cut off HDD Rack (remove it) and I'm suggest using T-Line for space saving instead Res. That BIX does not come with Shroud, you need to buy one if you need one

OCS911 said:
Just curious why do you need DVD-ROM when you had DVD+RW in there? :-/ anyway you don't need a RAD Mount and no need to cut off HDD Rack (remove it) and I'm suggest using T-Line for space saving instead Res

yes, you will need to remove the first hdd rack. it will get in the way of a rad and fan. also, use a tee-line instead of a res to save some space.

also, why is your diagram of a v1000? the v1200 is deaper.

yea, i know, i originally planned on getting the v1000, so I used that for the pic. Then I found out my OCZ PowerStream won;t fit in it.

Why two drives? Erm, to copy DVDs? lol.

I will consider the T-Line. So basicallt, the only use of the res is to make it easy to bleed, refill, or empty the setup. The T-Line will do the same but I can rmove it once everything is set up, correct?

no, do not remove the t-line once it is setup. it would'nt be possible anyways without emptying the loop.

t-lines are more convenient and some resivoirs can impact your flow rate, which you do not want.

ok, so the filling point on the T-Line has a valve that only lets in water one way and doesn't let it escape the setup?

And 1 or 2 fans on the rad? Is the stock one in that case sufficient? Just attach the rad right in back of it with shroud in between, or will it need another fan in back to sandwich the rad in between?

Difference between a fitting and clamp? Are they the sa,e thing? Do I need both?

Last edited:
yes, you fill the loop through the peice of tubing you attach to the t fitting. then you cap it when your are done. this allows air to escape from the loop through the t-line.

i don't think you will be able to use two fans on the rad due to lack of space, so i would suggest for one getting a better rad then a black ice pro. like say a black ice extreme or even a d-tek pro core which is cheaper then a black ice pro. and then get a good fan that pushes about 75cfm and mount it on the rad pulling air through the rad with a shroud too.

im actually currently setting up a wc rig with that exact case that i plan on having finished within a week. you can use the link in my sig for more info if you like, although there is'nt much there right now.

For the radiator, either a BIX or a Thermochill 120.1 should fit on its side--I don't think a core would fit in that space, at least not easily. For the fan, you might be able to use the stock one, but you'd be much better off using a high speed 38mm thick fan like the tri-blade Delta on a controller. And, it would work better if you had the radiator mounted as far forward as possible and then having the fan pull the outside air through the radiator rather than having the fan trying to push air through the radiator.

Next, the 50z will not fit into the space of two hard drives. It's about the same size as a D4 and when I had a D4 mounted in my V2100 it was actually using the space of 4 drives. You probably could get it to fit using the space of three drives, but that would be a tight fit. A DDC or MCP350 would fit. But, if you want to keep the 50z it would have to go elsewhere or you'd need to relocate the hard drive. Actually, with the V1200 (not the V1000 pictured) you can place the pump above the hard drives since you'll have that extra 3.75" or so to play with (I've got a 4" wide reservoir in that space on my V2100 so I know a pump won't have any problem fitting). And, then you'd retain enough room for 3 hard drives for later expansion.

Nice catch on the PSU size. That was the first thing I was going to mention when I saw the picture of the V1000, but then I realized you were talking about actually using a V1200.

I will also get one of these and drrill a hole for it in the top of my case.

So now we have a top 120mm exhaust (should I go along with this) and a hole for that fillport.

From the fillport, a line of tubing will extend down and connect to the T-Line, which bridges the cycle with the filling tube.

Since water follows the path of least resistance, it'll continue through the cycle and not go up the filling tube on the T-Line. Instead, only excess air will go up through there. Am I right?

My dad has a dremel at work so that's taken care of. I can just attach a tank cutter to any drill and it will cut the hole for the exhaust. Now what about the 1" hole for the fillport? How can I cut that? Will the dremel do?

I will also add some Green Swiftech HydrX and maybe also cut a side window.

The stock fan already pushes 72CFM of air, so I won't need a different fan for the radiator right? So I can ditch the Sunon and Panaflo.

EDIT: You know what, forget about it. This case runs very cool and quiet. The 3200+ Venice reached 2.8GHz on stock vcore and stock cooling. I can imagine what it can do with a little bit more voltage and a good HSF, such as my XP-90. I already have a good cooling solution. I originally wanted it for less noise, etc, but the Lian Li is very quiet. So I will just get my DFI Ultra-D, 6800 GT, Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5, and Vence CPU, and will mod some things and put a top exhaust. Will save $400 for later. I'm sure I can reach 2.8-3.0GHz easily with relatively cool temps.

Last edited:
Back