• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Explorer on Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With the plethora of [much] better browsers available, such as Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera (including many others)...there's just no reason to.

But you can try Wine

Wine doesn't do IE. CrossOver Office will let you run IE on Linux (also lets you run Office and other stuff). It does cost a lot to buy it, though.

Telexen: IE is still the most standards-compliant/-capable browser, hopefully Firefox will catch up to that soon. I know of several sites that require IE, but most of them are probably paid to do that by Macro***** (Neveron.com, OTOH, has some stuff that requires IE, because other browsers don't support it).

petteyg359 said:
Telexen: IE is still the most standards-compliant/-capable browser

Now *that* is a lie

They're the most standard compliant to Microsoft's OWN HTML/CSS/Javascript/etc standards...not real standards

Though I dont use it, solution is Opera I believe.

Opera said:
Browser spoofing

When sites are poorly written and set up to work with only one or a limited set of browsers, Opera provides the user with the ability to masquerade as another browser to get optimized content.

I believe it would be somewhere in the settings, though if you are willing to wait until tommorow evening (after 9PM EST) I could emerge it and tell you. I have work till then.

it was spoofed as IE, and msn gaming zone doesnt work.. is there a way to use the real IE in linux fedora core 3 ?

I just don't get people who go to the trouble of installing and using linux, then insisting on Windows programs where better non-windows alternatives exist. I can understand it (barely) if they want to get things like AutoCAD working in Linux, but IE?
The mind boggles.

Telexen: IE is still the most standards-compliant/-capable browser
Is there a hall of fame on ocforums? Please?

klingens said:
I just don't get people who go to the trouble of installing and using linux, then insisting on Windows programs where better non-windows alternatives exist. I can understand it (barely) if they want to get things like AutoCAD working in Linux, but IE?
The mind boggles.

Is there a hall of fame on ocforums? Please?

Im treading carefully with this post as I dont want to start a flame, but as a general disagreement he is right. Linux is far better, more stable, and just overall works better. All of my problems suddenly dissappeared when I switched over to linux. But some things do require IE, such as msn gameing zone whih apperently he uses. Some people prefer MSN gameing over spynet and the others, its just there preference. Maybe people he plays against only use msn. For that case your kinda stuck using IE which they wont and do not make for IE. Facts of life...

Yes some things need IE, but it's anything but due to a "standard". The only real reason ever for using IE is ActiveX, and if that's a standard then we really need a new Internet.

I agree he might find IE better or more agreeable, there is no squabbling about taste. But talking about standards and IE in the same sentence needs negation on between to make it a true statement.

Specific example of requiring IE, and it's not because it's a M$ site (and it doesn't use ActiveX):

Neveron.com... It's a battetech MMO(RP)G. Their site is only accessible through IE. They've had people exploit bugs on it before, and they fix them as they can, but due to differences in the way IE, Opera, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, etc. work, those things could be exploited differently with a different browser. They don't want to have to go through them all again just to support other browsers.

Things that need ie generally do so because they break the standards (which can be found here: http://www.w3.org/) and use ie-specific things.

I do have ie working under wine (I don't use it, so I don't know why). This thread over at the gentoo forums was very helpful in figuring it out:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-148168.html

These may also be helpful (tools for configuring wine and installing some things like dcom98 and ie):
http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/
http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

Back