• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i need avoltage increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawne32

I wanna bump up my processor overlock past 2200 mhz, im thinkin i can get to 2400 without a problem now that my temps are so damn low with this new heatsink, but will i need to up the voltage some? Check my sig for specs.

If its not stable at 2.4 with default voltage then try upping it a bit until its stable, and watch your temps. Use prime95 as stress test.

anyone here with experience already with going this high?

What do you mean this high? With voltage?

Newcastles can be given up to 1.7v on air without worry (it'll run warm but it wont kill it so long as your heatsink is properly installed & works well). Most of them clock in between 2.4 & 2.5GHz or so. Some chips do close to 2.6 (less than the percentage of S939 winchesters that do this of course).

If you could post your CPU stepping and week we could maybe estimate how far your chip could go. I'm concerned with your only 420W power supply. An OC'd chip can use almost up to 200W or more depending on the speed, that doesn't leave much room for the rest of your components.

For your question, depending on your stepping/week, you may be able to hit 2.4/2.5 with stock volts or close to stock. Chances are you may need a slight voltage increase.

Image1.gif

Back