• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Digicam Search

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

So my trusty old Canon A40 is finally ready for a willing replacement. I'm going on a college trip in a month, to California, a cruise, and then a Mexican Resort, and I want to take ALOT of pictures.

Problem is, I don't have the steadiest of hands, or time to manually set up all the correct settings on alot of pictures (you know alot of the best pictures are just spur of the moment afterall!). The ability for some manual control would also be good as well though, if I ever get back into photography. But a great "point and click" mode would be a major plus.

I've noticed this with my Canon, when taking in auto-mode, alot of the pictures lose quality/are blurry because of my not-so-steady hands. I believe this to be possibly due to a longer shutter-delay?

Also, there is a delay from the time I press the button, to the time the actual picture gets taken, I believe this is present on all digital cameras (at least at the time I bought my A40) - and I really haven't researched much yet, but do current generation camera's still have this annoying delay?

As for zoom, any amount of optical would be OK, but the added ability to later buy an attatchment lens would be a big plus as well, but it's not totally necessary.

I already own a 128MB CF card, but with cards so cheap I'm not going to limit my selection to a CF camera. I also have 4 rechargable AA NimH batteries, it would be nice to be able to use them in the new camera as well, or at least have a camera with it's own rechargable battery pack.

I'll be doing some research obviously, but just thought I'd see what you guys had to say about any particular cameras. My price range would be anywhere from $150-$300, give or take - I just want better quality shots than the A40 can give.

JCLW said:
I'd just get a newer Canon A series.

I am looking at newer Canon's as well. Do you happen to know if they have much improved power-on times and less delay?

[edit]
I've read a few reviews on the Canon PowerShot SD300, and it has gotten superb ratings, but so has that Sony Cybershot DSC-W1.. I hate trying to buy camera's, it's like trying to pick a new car, you could research for weeks and still not end up making the right choice!

Last edited:
My Dad has an A75, and while it does have some shutter delay I don't find it that bad for a P&S. I'm used to using my dSLR with 0 delay so it can't be that bad.

take a look at minoltas selection, I have a diamage Z1 with 10x optical zoom and its awsome. There is no delay when you push the button, it focuses lighting fast, and you can buy lens converters for you photography style

I think I payed aournd $400 new last year

So I bit the bullet and picked up a Canon A95 from newegg for $298 with a free 256mb CF card included. Not too shabby of a price. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when it comes - hopefully it'll have alittle better response times than my A40 (which is a few gens old).

Haven't had a chance to really play around with it, but here's one of the first test shots on full auto and the medium compression setting:

http://www.chamberscomputerrepair.com/Canon/IMG_0003.jpg

Detailed Pic Info: said:
File Name: IMG_0003.JPG
Camera Model Name: Canon PowerShot A95
Shooting Date/Time: 4/28/2005 3:39:59 PM
Shooting Mode: Foliage
Photo Effect Mode: Off
Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1/250
Av( Aperture Value ): 5.6
Metering Mode: Evaluative
Exposure Compensation: 0
ISO Speed: Auto
Lens: 7.8 - 23.4mm
Focal Length: 23.4mm
Digital Zoom: None
Image Size: 2592x1944
Image Quality: Fine
Flash: Off
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: Single AF
Color Space: sRGB
File Size: 1162KB
Drive Mode: Single-frame shooting

A faster memory card can help with the lag time after you push the button. Also holding the button halfway down for a second before clicking it also helps;)

Kendan said:
A faster memory card can help with the lag time after you push the button. Also holding the button halfway down for a second before clicking it also helps;)

Yeah, I always let the camera focus (by holding it down halfway before taking the shot). As for the memory card I'm not sure how you can tell the speed of a cards? And I thought that the camera's had internal buffers anyway to limit the effect of slower cards anyway?

Mr. Chambers said:
Yeah, I always let the camera focus (by holding it down halfway before taking the shot). As for the memory card I'm not sure how you can tell the speed of a cards? And I thought that the camera's had internal buffers anyway to limit the effect of slower cards anyway?

They do but I know that when I started using a faster memory card the lag time was reduced. I am sure you can find out why with a little google searching. I wish I could answer it but I just do not know :shrug:

I've never noticed a lag difference using different cards in Canons when pressing the shutter button.

The shutter lag isn't spent writing to the card, it's spent auto-focusing, checking the exposure, determining if it needs the flash, working out the optimum sensor sensitivity ("ISO"), etc etc. A faster processor, USM lens, etc will help in this regard.

The card speed determines how fast and for how long you can burst images.

Perhaps shutterlag was the wrong choice of words then - my main problem was that alot of pictures turned out blurry, most likely due to movement during or slightly after pressing the button. Obviously I don't TRY to move the camera around while taking a picture, but things such as wind, and my own unsteady hands while on certain medications for example prevent myself and my other family members from taking clean looking pictures with my A40.

This new A95 doesn't seem to have that problem, so all may be well.

JCLW said:
So no pictures yet? :)

Just the one so far ;)

IMG_0003.jpg

Back