• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win and Bios showing less space that the real thing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beastiedk

Registered
Hi,

I know there is a sticky about this but it does not seem to be updated quite often so i give it a try as a new thread... :)

Now I got Xp_SP2 (supports larger blocks then)
Mobo is ASUS P5AD2E Premium, just installed to 250GB 7k250 deskstars in RAID0, they work, they are fast, all nice but in win and even in the BIOS (Raid BIOS) they show 465.77 GBs??? as far as I know 250x2=500 (or close...)I have all latest versions of everything... BIOS, controller bios/drivers, win updates,
anyone with suggestions/solutions? TAK

That 465GB is right. It has to do with the way Drive Manufacturers state a GB, and the the way windows states a GB. Drive Manufacturers use a 1000 base, where as Windows uses a 1024 base. That is why there is such a big difference.

I just bought 2x 250GB WD drives and they only show as 232GB. There was a lawsuit a while back in California where consumers sued over this difference and won it.

then that means that they now get exactly what they bought?
when is that going to happen? I want my Gbs back!!

thanks

Actually, the partition tables that you put on the drive when you format it takes up space. The drive is 250gb UNFORMATTED SPACE, as it say on the box. Once you format it, it will be a different size, depending on the file system and the drive.

beastiedk said:
then that means that they now get exactly what they bought?
when is that going to happen? I want my Gbs back!!

thanks

No, they dont get what they want now, but they did get a small check.

apu318 said:
Actually, the partition tables that you put on the drive when you format it takes up space. The drive is 250gb UNFORMATTED SPACE, as it say on the box. Once you format it, it will be a different size, depending on the file system and the drive.

That is because the Partition is based on a 1024 base, and not the 1000 that the manufacturers use.

It isnt right, I think that they should all use the same scale otherwise it is false advertising as far as I am concerned.

Back