• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer restarts during gameplay -- Which part is failing here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaftedTwice

While playing HL2 or CS:S (only games I currently play on PC), my computer just randomly restarts. So, I have:
AXP-M @ 2.3GHz 1.6V
Dual channel 1GB PC3200 @ 2.9V
6800 Ultra at 475/1200
One CD-RW and HDD
4 Case Fans
and to top it off -- A generic 300W PSU

Im thinking its a PSU problem. My processor, RAM, and Video Card are stable, I was pretty sure according to Prime95, memtest, 3dmark03, respectively.

So, I bring the CPU down to 2200MHz and the video card back down to 400MHz (stock), and I am still getting the reboots. This tells me that the parts were stable, it is something else. The only difference between overclocked and not overclocked was that the reboots overclocked happened a lot sooner than the reboots at stock settings. Again, Im thinking it is a PSU problem, but what do yall think it is?

Did you read the requirements for a 6800 ultra? They say 350 watt psu is MINIMUM!!!!! And, if that is a generic brand, make it 480 watt!!!TAKE THAT PSU OUTTA THERE!

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
Did you read the requirements for a 6800 ultra? They say 350 watt psu is MINIMUM!!!!! And, if that is a generic brand, make it 480 watt!!!TAKE THAT PSU OUTTA THERE!

-Collin-
Wassup Ninja :) Yes, I just read over that part of the manual a few minutes ago. Should I really take the 6800U out and use the 9800pro till i get PSU?

I'm guessing that your system probably uses about 250 watts of power, now if you have a generic 300 watt power supply, your cutting what the generic psu can provide very close, and thats most likely the reason for your reboots.

Most systems (not including SLI systems) do not use much more than 300 watts of power, I'm talking about a P4EE, 6800Ultra and the normal configuration of peripherals. But there is a reason Nvidia recommends a 480 watt power supply.

I tested my system with a high quality 350watt power supply with my 6800ultra and I had no problems, then I put in a larger PC Power and Cooling Psu, but you should have at least a 450watt or better QUALITY (Not generic) Power supply.

EDIT

PS, TRY THIS OUT TO CALCULATE YOUR WATTAGE

Last edited:
lol thats funny dude all that expensive hardware and a cheap psu. when i psu fails it can take out your vid card and hard drives. first off over clocking can cause your games not to run correctly so run you system at stock speeds also make sure your ram is running at 6/2/2/2.5 this setting in the bios is stable. your 4 case fans eats up power you must get a new psu 450 watts. my computer use to restart also thats was because i had a 300 watt psu with my new nf7-s mobo and new 5700le vid card 2 80 gig hard drives and over clocked lol. my psu burnt it self out on me. since i got this new psu i never had that prob again .

im seriously amazed that you can even boot with that psu. you definatly need more wattage.

if you can scrounge up around $60-90, then get yourself a fortron 480W Bluestorm/500W... My 530W is really puttin up a good display..... newegg sells it for around $76 I believe?

I was gonna go with a Fortron 530W, but they are too expensive, almost $90 shipped on newegg...

Im really interested in the Fortron/Sparkle brands, how low can I go without damaging anything or limiting my overclock? Also, can you give me a guesstimate on what the rails should be around?

are you s***ing me?? $90 shipped!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!

gah... newegg jacked the prices....

anyway,, theres one in the Classifieds...

don't wanna get shafted AGAIN, do yeh? :p :p

SolidxSnake said:
are you s***ing me?? $90 shipped!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!

gah... newegg jacked the prices....

anyway,, theres one in the Classifieds...

don't wanna get shafted AGAIN, do yeh? :p :p
'Twas sold for $70 shipped..

I really need something for under $60 or so.

hah....too cheap to spend money on a good supply? get ready to spend a LOT more on replacing all those top-shelf components later.

Had one of my old systems get taken out a few weeks ago by a terrible generic 300 watt, it was similar to your config.

another vote for the PSU...
i just ordered a FSP bluestorm 500 for $72.00 shipped from Ewiz yesterday... http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-FS500A&c=pw&show=p seems to be near king of the heap right now...never again will i get a lesser PSU...its worth it...
Edit : whoopse! sorry! looks like they sold out... anyways, its a good price to shoot for for that unit....im sure theyll be back in stock soon...

I have been a believer of the PSU is the heart and soul of a PC.
Skimp on this one part and you pay for it everywere in the whole system. Cheap RAM, CPU wahdda heck, it is slow. Cheap out the PSU and everything sucks.
On this current build, I went with crap RAM before I went with low end PSU. I had a budget and had to cut costs somewehere. Now I can cheaply rectify the RAM issue later on. :D

Now this PSU will handle the years of abuse I will toss at it. The RAM and CPU will fade as the rig gets upgraded, but the PSU will always be my best buy. Shell out a little bit now, and it will hold you for 2 maybe 3 rigs if you get quality goods.

Back