• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans at 15v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackedSKull

I had an idea. If you can use less voltage to slow down fans, why can't you use more to speed them up? Has anyone one ever tried using 15v or something similar on their fans. It would make more noise, but also more cfm. The easiest way I could think to do it would to buy a 15v transformer from radio shack or something. Would fans catch on fire and burn down my house? Ok so maybe it's not such a great idea.

Hey, it IS a good idea- it just doesn't really work out. I tried a few 80mm El Cheapo case fans at higher voltages a while back, just for kicks. At 14V, they spun ok. At 16V, I smelled that burned metal smell, and now the fans are totally dead :(

I couldn't even tell if the 14V made em faster logically I suppose it did but not enough to notice. If I did, it's not enough to offset the thing maybe burning out on you after a little while-

Hehe. When I replaced my Intel heatsink, I decided to run the old fan at 24 volts. It was finally pushing some air :D If you know your fans can take the voltage change, try it. The way I did it was using a second power supply and connecting the fan to the motherboard plug's wires. I'm sure a converter will do fine

Converters are better for this; there's a lower chance of somthign burning out that way, use the 4 pin, better grounding too.

Back