• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$75 fanless vid card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

looking for a vid card for moderate older gaming for $50-$75ish. i'll take what i can get in that price range. radeon 9600? anyway i can do well with something a little cheaper? or is that my best bet?

have you considered taking something that doesnt produce much heat like an 8500 and just sticking a gigantic heatsink on it?

9600's and X700's(if you need something fast, eventualy) produce relativly little heat. Easy to make them passive.

uzibear said:
looking for a vid card for moderate older gaming for $50-$75ish. i'll take what i can get in that price range. radeon 9600? anyway i can do well with something a little cheaper? or is that my best bet?

An Nvidia 5200 or ATI 9250 should be plenty. Less than $50.

ok. thanks everyone. can i overclock with a passive hs, or is that out of the question?

what about getting a ti4200 and overclocking that baby; add some vga hs's etc. seems like a rather sexy idea :) probably would have to go with a fan, but........will the fan be on ALL THE TIME?? i don't mind it on during gaming, but can it be off when i'm just surfing the net or PLAYING MUSIC????? that's the main glitch. otherwise, fan is no problemo really.

uzibear said:
what about getting a ti4200 and overclocking that baby; add some vga hs's etc. seems like a rather sexy idea :) probably would have to go with a fan, but........will the fan be on ALL THE TIME?? i don't mind it on during gaming, but can it be off when i'm just surfing the net or PLAYING MUSIC????? that's the main glitch. otherwise, fan is no problemo really.

to do that, you'd have to put the fan on a switch. not too hard i'd imagine. i would get a 8500, a 1u heatsink, and a really quiet fan that you can hook to a switch, and voila.

you could overclock like mad when playing games, and run at default speed with the fan turned off when not with rage3d tweak.

**EDIT** forgot the link i meant to add: http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/mods/mx440mod/

**DOUBLE EDIT**

i did a similar thing to my 9700pro. i had a thermalright sk6+ and a really high rpm fan, that i set on a dial on the fron of my case. 8500's and 9700's have mounting holes, unlike the mx440 in that link. so, i drilled holes in the heatsink and used plastic bolts and rubber washers to hold it in place, as i felt uneasy hanging the heatsink from my gpu with epoxy.

Last edited:
Back