• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce FX 5200 vs Geforce 4 ti 4_00

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zer0nix

^topic

which provides the better bang for the buck? -if y'all have any better budget gpus to recommend with a better performance/price ratio, please do!

*crossposted for better visibility; will remove if so asked

i would recoment a 9600 xt its a little more like in the $100 or 60-80 on ebay if ur lucky...... area but you will get good performance..........the 6200 if u can spare like 100 off ebay or 150 new 256 mg will dominate all those cards.......................but the 5200 is better than the ti 400.........id have to say...............but the ti 4200 if ur lucky u can get for $50 will beat the ti 400 and the 5200 but otherwise more like 80 which in that case id go for the 9600 xt or 6200............................................................

Last edited:
The TI4200-4800 will beat the fx5200 in benching and gaming. Only thing is you lose the dx9 support. But the fx5200 won't play dx9 at a decent fps so it doesn't really matter IMO. Go for the ti4200, can find them cheap.

stang8118 said:
The TI4200-4800 will beat the fx5200 in benching and gaming. Only thing is you lose the dx9 support. But the fx5200 won't play dx9 at a decent fps so it doesn't really matter IMO. Go for the ti4200, can find them cheap.

alright, you're the second guy to say that so i'll believe it... apparently i can get an fx5200 for $10, a ti 4600 oem for $20 (if i'm lucky and there isn't a bidding duel in the last few minutes), 64mb radeon 9500s for $40, 9600 SEs for $40, 128mb 9500s for $70 and 256mb 9600s for $70-100... which is the best buy?

Last edited:
The ti 4600 would be by far the best 'buy'. Pretty sure the 9500 would be a better card overall, but not if you can get the ti for $50 cheaper.

I would do the Ti Series. Most the cards in your lineup are mostly the same thing in terms of performance. Minus the Ti card. That was a a really good one despite it don't have (wasn't around when it came out)Dx9 support. The 9500 cards arent that much better than the 9200's except the offer Dx9. You might get a tad higher clock, depending on who made it. Don't expect anything fancy in the gaming dept. using any of these cards in your list. :D well the Ti will be alright.
If this is your only pick list and your dying for a card. If you can't get the Ti card get the 5200 and save up for a card that will more in line with what you use it for. $10 is a good way to save a few bux and have a card to use, until you find that majik deal. I have had a 5200 and even older games were low framerate. I have also had the 9200(AIW) and it wasn't much better.
The FX lineup was not nVidias best moment, they got pounded by ATi from the 9500 and up. For each of the respective classes. Now nVidia has the super cool 6series of cards to counter them.

Last edited:
But if its a 9500np it 'can' be flashed to a 9700pro though. Not always, but there's the chance :D

stang8118 said:
But if its a 9500np it 'can' be flashed to a 9700pro though. Not always, but there's the chance :D

i'm totally confused about which 9500-9600 cards i should go for; they all range around $40-70 on ebay (the 9700 on the other hand ranges from $70-100 -same for the geforce 6600s) and i'm getting mixed findings about which outperforms the other... your words and the charts here http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html only confuse me more...

:confused:

thanks to your replies i'll forget about the fx 5200 and probably go for the 4600, but on the off chance that in the last few minutes it too becomes a $40 card, what should i go for then? if y'all recommend a radeon 9500-9600, PLEASE be specific about exactly which model(s) to go for and conversely, which to stay away from...

EDIT: just out of curiosity, how does the fx 5200 compare to the geforce 3 (which just costs a few dollars more)?

Last edited:
If your basing your info off charts for a new game then of course your going to be confused. They will always score lower. If you plan to play Doom, save your monies and get a new card. Now if you plan to play some less demanding games, the 9500 and up will be a good pick. Most the actual ATi cards overclock well and are made pretty good. Now this is were it actually becomes confusing. Every manufacturer has dis-similar clocks, but they can range about the same. Powercolor is an alright ATi clone. They tend to be cheaper than an actuall ATi card and can overclock well. It kind of depends on the top end of your budget. With video cards alot of what you plan to do with it makes your final choice easier. If you want a basic gaming card no frills, and are willing to throw the dice in the hopes of getting a better card get the 9500 non pro.
If your not a gambler and want out of the box performance and willing to spend a few extra bucks, peek around for a 9800 of some flavor(256bit memory is a good thing, not to be mistaken for 256 megs of memory). Now this is were is starts to get confusing agian. The 9700pro will overtake the 9800se.
If you can get a card that has a 256bit memory bus of any flavor(i.e.-models), you will do alright in most cases. The coveted 256bit will do well in most cases and is usually a pretty good card for its class. It kind of goes like this in terms of bad to good. ls/se/vanilla(no fancy letterings)/pro/xt/. The pro and up in some cases can sometimes match the next higher model in terms of performance. Depending on the brand.
Now for pipes. The 9700pro and up will have more pipes to let graphics data through. The 9700pro will be a really nice pick for a budget card since it is close to a 9800 in terms of pipes.
If I am wrong on any of this I will correct it.

Back