• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

psu 1-n

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ianwaters

Hi all,

Just working on a project PC following on from the idea of pc clusters to build super computers.

I want to bundle several motherboards into one custom case.
I have 5 motherboards each running at 2gig.
The problem i want to overcome is the fact that i would need 5 PSU units to run the system defeating the object of saving space. Is it possible to run several MB's from one psu?

Are there any on the market that can do this?

Thought id post here as you mental modders are my best bet for
some info!

Cheers..

I think there is no market for PSUs that support multiple boards and one doesn't exist, but i could be wrong.

It would be possible to run 5 boards from one PSU if the load requirements are met. Take a cheap powersupply and look at the output, multiply that by 5 and get a range of the output you should be looking for. A single power supply to get the heap of hardware running is a long shot, but an 800W server supply might be. Just take several ATX extension cables and put them together. Make sure there is a fire extinguisher handy when you flip the switch!

Cheers, ill have to have a good search for a server grade supply. Have to check out the price for an extinguisher too! hehe..

If they are small enough i could squeese two 800's in the box but It wont look nice. only one of the boards will have a harddrive attached to it as the others will just run with ram drives and load an OS from the Primary Node.

Cheers..

OMG... i love it..
Yeah im a programmer and want to develop my own parallel processing system.

It so beats overclocking and duel processer boards.
Saying that these beauties are a bit big and only work with custom software as far as i know but its very interesting topic.

One of the nice things about the mini-itx boards is relatively low cost, very small footprint, and relatively easy power hookup. They are about half as powerful (1ghz vs 2 you are planning) but it may work out that doubling or tripling the number of boards is a reasonable option for price and power usage.

No clue if it is a viable option for you, of course, but it seems it might be easier.

Good luck, look forward to hearing what you end up doing (with pics of course ;))

Back