• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting set up to fold, need a bit o' help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aarcam

Registered
Okay, I will do this and try not to sound like and idiot, oh wait I just opened my mouth, damn…. :shrug:
So a little help for the new guy. Just installed with Wedo’s one-click and it immediately fired up and pulled this thing down:
Name: p638_L939_K12M_ext
This is listed as a Tinker. I thought I read those are bad for AMD’s. If this is the case, how do I prevent from getting more of these. I have done 10% of it in the 3 hours it has been running and I have more than a month to do it. Is it just a bad point return for time kind of bad or just runs better on a Pentium bad?

The config file didn’t take right off the bat (I was the generic user and no team specified). I edited it to match the one with Wedo’s one touch, but am unsure if it will stick (I want you guys to get some points outta me!, oh and solve that cancer thing too :). I tried to fire up the console but with it running it did not much care for that and bailed; segway for the next question:

What is the best way to shut down FAH? Can I just kill it in the task manager (do you kill the core or console)? I saw in Wedo’s sticky the how to pause with the .bat file, but uh, oh dear here it comes, ya lost me. Don’t know how to make a bat or use a bat unless it has to do with wiffle balls. *man in back yells ROOKIE at poster* Any way of explaining this in another fashion?

Is the graphical client version less efficient if you are not using the graphic display and can you configure it the same as the Wedo version (flags etc.)? Do I have to uninstall (well, delete really what I am reading) the Wedo version or can I just install the graphic version over it. Do any of the versions allow for an uninstall through windows?

Can I turn on big packets with little risk of instability with my current rig (see lame sig below)

Hmmm, think that is about it for now. Really appreciate your help. Been reading for a week and have not come across these items yet, so if they have been covered, my apologies. Thanks for your patience and sorry about the rediculously long post. Cheers.

aarcam said:
This is listed as a Tinker. I thought I read those are bad for AMD’s. If this is the case, how do I prevent from getting more of these. I have done 10% of it in the 3 hours it has been running and I have more than a month to do it. Is it just a bad point return for time kind of bad or just runs better on a Pentium bad?

I belive that Tinkers work better on AMD's, so you are good there.

aarcam said:
What is the best way to shut down FAH? Can I just kill it in the task manager (do you kill the core or console)? I saw in Wedo’s sticky the how to pause with the .bat file, but uh, oh dear here it comes, ya lost me. Don’t know how to make a bat or use a bat unless it has to do with wiffle balls. *man in back yells ROOKIE at poster* Any way of explaining this in another fashion?.

The best way( besides using the .bat) would Start, Run, type services.msc, click on FAH and then Stop. You can do this to start it up again also.

Kind of tired so I may not be getting your questions to clearly. From what I can tell though here is what I would say
1. You should be fine with tinkers.
2. Use Wedos one click, go into fah folder eidt the config folder with you name and everything else is alreayd preset.
3. a bat file is bets way to shut it down and turn back on. To make one just type in notepad "net stop Fah"(dont put "")and name the file like fahstop.bat. To restart the fah just do "net start Fah" (no "")
4.Graphical is not to much slower but if you have the window open then yes you probaly will see a slight slow down. With it closed though it should be around same, though I would still recommend using one click. I think the offical FAH programs come with unistaller. not sure though.
5. With a rig like that you deffintly should be fine, AMD so maybe a little problam there but besides that just keep temps down and your good.

tenchi86 said:
With a rig like that you deffintly should be fine, AMD so maybe a little problam there but besides that just keep temps down and your good.

Umm... C'mon,I have never ever one time had a problem with fah because my cpu's are AMD's.

Just to say again, don't close it from the task manager, that will really **** it off ;). I'd stick with wedo's version, he uses some extra flags to increase production. However if you want to keep track of the points, frame times, and the graphics, try a 3rd party program like EMIII.

download: http://home.comcast.net/~wxdude1/emsite/download.html

help: http://home.comcast.net/~wxdude1/emsite/help/index.html

and holy cow that isn't a lame sig at all! kind of stealthy... :sn:

anyway that looks like the perfect candidate for the bigpackets. You have even more ram than is needed, and you run a single instance, so you want be having the problems related to running more than one instance of a work unit using the QMD core.

:welcome:

Last edited:
b!schaff, tenchi86, stratcatprowlin, veryhumid; thanks for the quick replies, I think that answers about everything I was unsure about. I wrote it late last night and got a little carried away so it was a little confusticated.

Thanks for the links veryhumid, I will give that a go tonight.

Again everyone, thanks for the help.

Back