Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Need a 120mm fan software controllable to near silent

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 01:36 PM Thread Starter   #1
WeaponX6X

Need a 120mm fan software controllable to near silent

I'm looking for a 120mm fan that I can control through my motherboard using Speedfan. No rheostats or any of that goodness. I'ld like the fan to be near silent(under 30 dB maybe?) if desired. Any ideas of what can do this?

1024 MB RAM
120GB HD
Radeon Mobility X700
Carbon Fiber Chassis
WeaponX6X is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 01:50 PM   #2
Electron Chaser
Senior Delta Fanatic

The Vantec Stealth 120mm and Nexus 120mm Fan will fit the bill for you.

2 X Raptor 150GB RAID 0 , 2 74GB Raptor RAID 1, 1 36GB Raptor, 1 250GB WD SATA
BIX3 w/ 3 GFB1212VHW Fans (660 CFM Total) -Case Fans 5 EFB1212SHE (710 CFM Total)
MB / RAM Cooler 2 TFB1212GHE (440 CFM Total)

:cool: 1800+ CFM of Pure Delta Coolness :cool:
Someone Help you out? Post a Thank you here. Project Denali Heat
Electron Chaser is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 02:02 PM   #3
Yatta

nexus is the way to go or voltmod the one you have already. 7volt should lower noise a bit. Also Papst if you can find them are great.
Yatta is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 02:18 PM   #4
Bios24

If your going to connect it to your motherboard, the only thing your really limited by is the amperage output of the motherboard. I would find that out, then buy a fan based on that. Also, the fan is probably going to need an rpm wire.

I would stay clear of the vantec stealth. Nexus would be a good choice, or Papst. I would reccomend a Panaflo low, but most don't have rpm wires.

Is this for your case or cpu? I would try and get a 38mm deep fan, as they usually create more pressure than 25mm deep fans.

320gb+200gb Seagate - XFX 6800GS 500/1.2ghz
Sound Blaster X-Fi - BA7900 5.1 Surround
Thermalright XP-90C - <The Quiet Overclock>
[ HEATWARE ]
Bios24 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 02:42 PM   #5
Ven0m

Generally, you don't need RPM wire for Speedfan. All silent fans seem to be low-power, so there's no risk of connecting them to mobo (let's say, 4W). And even if you have something more powerful, it's easy to do a simple mod to allow any fan be controlled by speedfan (controllers guide).

Some fans give pretty nasty noise, when Speedfan is used to lower their speeds. A bigger capacitor should do the job.
Ven0m is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 03:04 PM   #6
Lan_Of_Malkier

How would it determine how to lower the fan if it is using speed fan with NO rpm wire, unless you can manually adjust voltage?
Lan_Of_Malkier is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 03:25 PM   #7
Ven0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Of_Malkier
How would it determine how to lower the fan if it is using speed fan with NO rpm wire, unless you can manually adjust voltage?
It's not needed:
- Speedfan controls fans using PWM (perhaps some newer mobos have better possibilities)
- manual settings are quiet obvious
- auto settings are strictly temperature-related

There's no check for fan speed.
Ven0m is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 07:06 PM   #8
l3ored

yea, many fans report the wrong rpm anyway when undervolted. to find rpm, a current passes through two metal plates in the fan, one on the fan chassi, and one on the rotating part. the number of passes in a given period of time tells rpm, however at lower voltages, the fan sometimes cant pass the current. (just read this on the speedfan website last night ) I have no reccomendations for you, but personally, i'd just get the cheapest 3 pin fan available.
l3ored is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-12-05, 08:22 PM   #9
yeha

it depends on your definition of silence - for a real silent computer, nexus is the only option you should consider. other possibilities are glacialtech (hard to find) and coolermaster (led or uv, but sometimes have bearing noise), neither are as consistently quiet as the nexus.

if you're looking for a ~30 dba system though, any old fan will suffice when the rpms are lowered. find the cheapest 3-pin 120mm fan you can that's not over 2400 rpm or so at stock, and see how it responds. the only problem with the nexus is how much it costs.
yeha is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool