• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which drive combo will give me better game performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

I am looking to upgrade my storage soon. What i want is speed up my game loads and i'm wondering what will be fastest for it. Say i have 200€ to spend, what would be best?

a pair of these in raid (2x70 = €140)

or

a single raptor (€150)

or another exotic drive setup? maybe two smaller raptors in raid?

I'm not sure what will be faster..i've heard alot of good things about the raptor but will it outdo the dual drives in raid? Also, the raptor has superior seeking time..but i think that that doesn't matter much for large file loads. (as what gaming is)

Anyone able to tell me from experience what would be best for me?

Thanks in advance,

- Tim

Single Raptor for OS/Games/Apps
current hard drives for data storage... that is the best setup IMO.

dark_15 said:
Single Raptor for OS/Games/Apps
current hard drives for data storage... that is the best setup IMO.

In this case i am looking just for the drive(s) to buy for my games, its all i will put on it + maybe some storage. I will surely get a small raptor for my OS, and keep my current drives for large storage, beside the drive(s) for my games.

When you say "small raptor", which do you mean? Because you certainly should get the 74gb version, as not only does it have more storage space, but it is also significantly faster. The responce time is faster, and a lot of bugs with the 36gb drives were fixed with the 74gb drives. Its more money, but worth it.

Well, since only my OS and programs are going to be on it, i figured i could use a smaller one. However, if the 73GB is significantly faster for windows or apps, iw ill consider it. It also depends on how my family responds to my 18th birthday lol..if i get enough money it will be easier deciding.

well wouldn't it be better to have windows and the games on the same hard drive cause then it wont have to go to a nother hard drive just to look for the game files and other stuff for the game every time you load up a new level

Back