• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When OCing - What volts and when to add them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winston856

Hey guys, I'm currently a little confused right now.

I have a 2500-M Barton and it's stable at 1.75vcore 210x11.5 = 2415mhz.

Now when I run StressPrime 2004 (a prog identical to prime95) if I run small FFT's to stress the CPU, it ran for a hour before I stopped it, then I'll run blend, and it will fail in a few seconds to a minute, then if I run Large FFT's to stress RAM, it fails in a few seconds to a minute....

Now my setup is like this.

vcore 1.70
vdimm 3.3
vdd 1.7
vagp 1.6
FSB 210 (420DDR)
ram 1:1
timings: 11-2-2-2-2-2.0 Command Per Clock: On

What's the dealy-o here, is my ram crapping out? It's Kingston Hyper X PC3200 BH-5 so I though it would go further than this....

I have the ram volts maxxed out on my DFI Lanparty B NFII board, what do you suggest? Since the small FFT's run for a long time, does this suggest that my ram is holding me back? Or is it the board? What are good ways to find your max FSB? How can I find what's holding me back?

I run at 1.84volts at that speed so raise the vcore a tad and then run the large ffts and see if that helps. Run memtest to test your memory but lower the multi first so you keep the cpu under your 2415mhz. the blend test will test alot of memory but i would have though Bh-5 should be good for 210 anyway maybe you should lossen the timimgs a bit. 11-3-3-2.5.

winston856 said:
vdimm 3.3
I have the ram volts maxxed out on my DFI Lanparty B NFII board,

Do you really need such high vdimm? To much voltage can cause mem errors too. I left the vdimm at 3.3v on my infinity and lowered the fsb to 166 and the mem errored out untill I set it to 2.8v.

BH-5 should run 210 at a max of 3.0v. All of mine have done 220-225 at 2.9v.

Also the dfi's undervolt the vagp alot. I never have mine less that 1.7v.

vdd.. hy so high already ? was it unstable ??
vdimm.. why so high at low fsb ??

and off subject.. sell your board and cpu.. move to A64 and watch that ram fly ..
small price to pay after you sell and upgrade.

I know, I thought i'd gotten a bit of a bad mobile CPU. But it's not a total loss I guess.

I have CPC on because I have double sided BH-5 512MB DIMM's and they don't clock as well as there 256MB single sided counterparts.

I've done tests with CPC on and CPC off. With CPC off I can do about 240-245FSB, but with it on I'm limited to around 210-215 (or so I think). CPC is acts just like the command rate ex: 1T 2T etc...

With my double sided DIMM's I get better results with CPC on, but if I had 256MB DIMM's I'd probably be able to ramp up the FSB high enough so that it would out-weigh the advantage of CPC.

I have my vdimm set that high because that's what I had to do to keep it from erroring.

The default vdd on my board is 1.6v max is 1.8v. I raised it to try and get stability.

So, what I want to know is when to add which volts when you're overclocking. i.e. when your comp locks up that's usually a sign for more vcore right? when memtest errors you need to up the vdimm correct?

Well, where do the vagp and vdd come into play? I know the vdd is your chipse but when do you up that?

Sorry I haven't replied in a while, I'm currently fighting a cold of some sort and have been not feeling to well heh... I'll try to get some testing in this weekend maybe.

~edit:

Could somebody tell me the best ways of finding the limits of my board, ram, and CPU. I think I have the CPU figured out, lower the FSB real low and ramp up the multiplyer right? then P95 test.

Now as for the board and the ram, I've never done that, would finding the ram limits be the opposite as finding the CPU limits? i.e. lowering the multi real low and cranking the FSB?

If i'm correct in the above statements, what about finding the motherboard's limitations? That's got me puzzled, would that involve the dividers?

Last edited:
Lot of questions and I'll see if I can shine some light somewhere for you...First of all forget that dividers exist until you go to 64 bit computers. Do not use dividers. Ok next up would be your RAM...you stated double sided KHX BH5. What tests have you done comparing your clocks with and without CPC. The nF2 chipset has a problem with CPC and dual sided memory period. Most have found that a 10Mhz difference makes up for CPC off and you already said you can hit the 240s vs. 215 with it on.. I can't give you a guaranteed reason to raise your AGP voltage but I raised my vdd when memtest soft locks...it keeps running but my keyboard no longer responses. I ran default to about..the high 230s and raised it to 1.8 at around 250. Your FSB problem is not to be totally blamed on the RAM..it will fly on an A64 system..it's the nF2s inability to cope with large modules very well. Until you can go A64 run with CPC off. Hope this helps and gooduck

N3buchan3zzar said:
Lot of questions and I'll see if I can shine some light somewhere for you...First of all forget that dividers exist until you go to 64 bit computers. Do not use dividers. Ok next up would be your RAM...you stated double sided KHX BH5. What tests have you done comparing your clocks with and without CPC. The nF2 chipset has a problem with CPC and dual sided memory period. Most have found that a 10Mhz difference makes up for CPC off and you already said you can hit the 240s vs. 215 with it on.. I can't give you a guaranteed reason to raise your AGP voltage but I raised my vdd when memtest soft locks...it keeps running but my keyboard no longer responses. I ran default to about..the high 230s and raised it to 1.8 at around 250. Your FSB problem is not to be totally blamed on the RAM..it will fly on an A64 system..it's the nF2s inability to cope with large modules very well. Until you can go A64 run with CPC off. Hope this helps and gooduck

Well thanks a lot N3buchan3zzar. I have done tests with CPC on and off and I get a little better 3dmark01 with in on. But I was running my FSB at 250 with CPC off, it was unstable though...

I thought the memory dividers would help me find out if it was my memory or my board holding me back... If so, how would I use them?

So, could I get a list of when to add what volts please?

vcore - only when comp hard locks?

vdd - only when memtest86 locks up?

vdimm - only when memtest errors?

vagp - ?

I dont think there is going to be a list out there anywhere I have in fact found sometimes that you will need to lower vcore or vdd depending on how high some other thing's are to get a stable system. The best I can do for the vcore is say if it's staying below 45-50c full load temp then you can raise it some more and if prime is failing you may also need to raise it if memtest fail's you may need to raise your vddim or lower your timiing's.

Ok, but still nobody has told be a good way to find if my motherboard is holding me back. How would I do this?

my 2 cents....

hard to say what voltages to use, that's why u always start w/ 'safe' settings, like 10x200 w/ 2.8v vdimm, 1.7v vcore, 1.6v vdd

i'd leave cpc on, and start first w/ upping that fsb till ur teeth bleed, if u got bh5, i'd immediately jump to 240x10 w/ 3.3v vdimm, 1.8v vdd, 11-2-2-2-2.0 timings, and run memtest for a couple of hours
if it fails, try 1.9v vdd(i'm 99% sure 1.9v is the high, not 1.8), if it fails again, turn cpc off, after that, go down to 230

if all is good, keep going from there, i'd say don't be afraid of 3.3v w/ bh5 if u got heatspreaders and running high fsb, but if only 210, too high voltage can and will cause errors, same w/ vcore and vdd

at 210, i'd say 2.8v vdimm, 1.6v vdd

have faith in the chip and mobo, second guess the kingston

EDIT: also, what bios r u using?

i would say start with low multiplier 8x is usaully a good starting point and raise fsb. use loose timmings 2.5-3-3-11 are great, then u can rule out ram. also make sure the nb isnt getting too hot. then when u get the max fsb u can figure out how to get tighter timmings by adding volts or lowering fsb.

Thanks for your input guys.

I'm using BIOS 6/19 for my DFI Lanparty B NFII

I guess I'll just have to start over from the top.

Back