• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think we'll see 3000-3800 San Diegos/Toledos??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

As it stands, its not uncommon to see Clawhammers in chips ranging from 3800+ all the way down to 3000+. Do you think we'll see the same with San Diego or Toledo? I would totally go for a 3000+ San Diego, or maybe even a non-FX dual core CPU...

Dual core Toledo (for now) is not for gamers but Power Users so you're better off with Venice/San Diego if you use your system to play games instead of business etc.

3500+ San Diego and 3500+ Venice should perform the same at default speeds, they both have 512 KB cache, so look at
• frequency
• cache

to compare San Diego and Venice.

Hypothetical Venice at much higher frequency even with 1/2 cache is better than San Diego.

But then again price/overclockability is what most people around here would look at to compare them.

I did not and could not (tried) as this was 'top secret' :) but I knew it wouldn't be D

Source please!

X2 4400+ for what the 2.4 GHz part?

I honestly doubt that we will see low-end San Diego chips. I think AMD recognizes that they must do something to separate their 1MB lineup from the Venice cores, and higher-rated stock speeds is an effective way of doing so. Of course, there is a chance that we may see low models down the road, but I suspect that AMD will keep them out of our hands long enough to capitalize on early San Diego sales.

deception``

Bah, the irony. I opened two windows simulteneously. The first one was to read OC Detective's post.

The second one was a source from Australia linking he-a:
http://www.hexus.net/#AMD-dual

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

AMD currently has no plans to introduce 'FX' variants of its dual-core desktop processors.

The flagship AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ will have both its cores operating at 2.4GHz, the same frequency as the AMD Athlon 64 4000+...

so, umm, what is the difference between the venice CORE and the san diego CORE

if AMD is going to realease 2 chips w/ same clock and same L2, then there must be a difference in the cores

if not, wow, that's the most in your face marketing b.s. i have ever seen from amd or intel

Big thanks to OC Detective as always.

P.S. AMD is not marketing Venice & Toledo. They're marketing 3500+s.

They're not going to throw away cores that could not pass rigorous tests to be labeled (San Diego) FXs so they set them to lower settings and sell them as 3500+s because they then perform (at default 3500+ speeds) the same as Venice 3500+s.

c627627 said:
3500+ San Diego and 3500+ Venice should perform the same at default speeds, they both have 512 KB cache, so look at
• frequency
• cache

to compare San Diego and Venice.

I disagree. Thats like saying a Claw 3500+ and a NC 3500+ (just to stay .13) will perform the same. At stock speeds, the claw will have a VERY SLIGHT lead over the NC, but who around here cares about stock speeds ;) ? A claw will kick any NC/winnie's butt OCed.

A-ha.
Of course we care about core details and overclockability.

The implied topic was AMD marketing at default speeds. AMD doesn't market cores.

Actually, the question was whether AMD would sell SDs rated at the same speed as venice chips, and it was implied that the only reason anyone around here would care if they bought a 3000 SD vs a 3000 venice was because of OCability ;) . Sure AMD doesn't market cores, but it sure does sell em.

LoneWolf121188 said:
I disagree. Thats like saying a Claw 3500+ and a NC 3500+ (just to stay .13) will perform the same. At stock speeds, the claw will have a VERY SLIGHT lead over the NC, but who around here cares about stock speeds ;) ? A claw will kick any NC/winnie's butt OCed.

yes, but the clawhammer core is different from the newcastle(extra copper interconnects/memory controller upgrade i believe)

the venice and san diego are supposed to be the SAME aren't they? "E" core?

i thought the whole purpose of the difference was the L2 size

Back