• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Capture ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I am going to build a computer dedicated for video. I need to find a good AGP or PCI-X video card for capturing video from a digital camcorder. I am going to imput the video analog, which means I need a video card with VIVO (video in, video out). Can anyone recommend any? Don't worry about price or if it is agp or pci-x, I will get a motherboard to fit any of them.

Thanks,
dja2k

Sorry for the triple post. It was an emergancy and needed an answer by tomorrow. Anyways, thanks for the posts and I will not triple nor double post again.

dja2k

Ok, thats Ok i see that you got 6600GT already so i would advise you to buy a capture tv card i no ati make some which are suppose to be able to caputure HDTV Resultions!

Sorry, but stay away from the ATI HDTV cards. Check out forums.freytechnologies.com for more info. Many users have reported that they are not good. Personally I just wish I had a HDTV source to try them out on. :) For HDTV capture, a member of the SageTV forums created a plugin for SageTV that allows direct capture of HDTV via firewire, USB or whatever your digital cable box supports. Its a beta but lots of users are reporting sucess with it. Did I mention I wished I had a HDTV source to record from? ;)

Well what I want it for is to transfer video from A Canon GL2, edit it, and burn into DVD format.

dja2k

Well the computer I am working on now isn't for me. I was thinking of getting that 6600GT with VIVO for the other computer. I think I would be better off getting a so-so video card and then getting a dedicated video\tv\fm card like from MSI or Leadtech. I don't know how the video quality will be from the 6600GT to a standalone card. I did notice that the 6600GT doesn't have that many options for encoding like the standalone which has options like MPEG 1, MPEG 2, and maybe MPEG 4. I don't really want to spend that much money on a dedicated video capture card like the Matrox or Pinnacle one, so I was looking for an alternative, but descent one. The video will come from a Canon GL2 and will need to be somewhat professional when transfering, editing, and burning on DVD.

dja2k

Coming from a DV camcorder, I think just firewire would do fine for capture. Its basically just a data transfer. The high end cards add more features (and bundled software) but the DV capture is pretty much just a data transfer AFAIK. With my JVC thats all I use. My comments about ATI were for HD PVR functions, please disregard for DV stuff. Just a note about TV capture cards, make sure the MSI or Leadtek is a hardware MPEG2 capture card if you plan on using it with any software PVR package. I haven't heard anything about them so I think they may not be or they might not be compatible with PVR packages.

Well personally I have a leadtech winfast deluxe 2000 and it uses a program that does act like a PVR and it gives me options to capture in different MPEG formats like from standard to optimum. The other thread I did, which by the way was a good idea putting different threads even if it got some people mad here, gave me pretty good advice saying forget analog video. I am using a dv camcorder with firewire though the reason I was going analog is cause I thought you get more options in encoding, but I guess I was wrong. I am now wondering if a firewire card is all I need and make the software do the work. The question is like the PVR that allows you to encode at the option of your choice, what will I then use if I connect via firewire and will the software allow me to do the same choices.

dja2k

Okay will use firewire. Do I really need a good video card or a simple FX 5200 or 5500 will do?

dja2k

Back