• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual LCD setup for music recording

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sa3atsky

Hi, Im planning to create a dual LCD setup for my recording PC..
Im looking for a goodpriced 15" lcd

I need it to have the textclarity, angle visibility, crispness, good colors, brightness, longetivity and ofcourse COST.
Refresh rates arent all that important since gaming isnt my #1 priority on this machine. Most probably using a Matrox card for best dual-screen capabilities, preferrably dual-DVI

What do you guys recommend?

Name brand. 15" are cheap, so as long as it's name brand and in your budget go for it.

BTW, I do homerecording and have found having dual monitors for this reason useless. Like you, I thought there might be a benefit, but I'm usually only doing one thing at a time (either recording in cakewalk, mixing loops in Acid, or mastering in Soundforge). I don't need to swap between programs because of how I produce my tunes. Maybe you're into something else, that requires multiple programs simultaneously. I haven't needed it.

On the other hand, web page development is faster with dual monitors. I often have to tweak images for my site in photoshop and then head back to frontpage for more fine tuning of image placement and testing in internet explorer. Loading files from an always open windows explorer window is also helpful.

You should be able to get two good 17" LCDs for dirt cheap unless you have strict size requirements.

Have you looked into getting a widescreen LCD monitor instead of two standard LCD monitors? I just got my 24" widescreen Dell monitor and already I am working with applications side-by-side. The monitor is about 22" wide and at its native resolution of 1920x1200, I have plenty of desktop real estate. Even if you choose not to go for this $1300 LCD monitor, there are other widescreen options you can look into.

Back