• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new laptop NEED HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinity_4_you

Registered
I am enterest in buying a laptop and ive narrowed it down to two. I want a laptop that can play games quite nicely but at the same time last me a long time so i can do homework. I have decided on either of these two, the asus A2K or the asus Z71V. I am purchasing this from a local computer store, http://www.canadasys.com/laptopasus.htm
Which would be better price is not much of a issue and also what upgrades would be best. I was thinking about the A2K just get a faster processor like the 3500 or 3600. And the z71V looks kinda big and bulky. Any comments would be helpful.
THanks

Z71V

Centrino - 1.7G( 533 ) $1649
Centrino - 1.8G( 533 ) $1715

512M DDR2 533Mhz Dual Channel
60G SATA Hard Drive
DVD & CDRW Combo Drive
128M nVidia 6600 PCI Express Video
Built-in Wireless-G Lan
15.4” WSXGA+ ( 1680x1050 ) / Carrying Case
( The optical drive bay Supports module hot swap function and 2nd HDD/2nd Battery )

--Upgr to 1G DDR2 Dual Channel: $99
--Upgrade to DVDRW: $70
--Upgrade to 80G SATA: $80
--Second Battery: $139

OR

A2K

AMD A64 3000 $1399

512MB / 60G 5400r 8M Hard Drive
DVD & CDRW Combo Drive
128M ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700
( Overclocked to 450MHZ )
Built-in Wireless-B/G Lan
15” SXGA+( 1400x1050 ) / Carrying Case

--Same with Z80K except the overclocked video, built on Asus, 1-yr warranty in Canada

I wanted a lappy that could handle some games too.

I ended up with a fast, hot and heavy system, that ran through the battery rather quickly, but it cant play Doom3 decently.

If I could do it again, I would buy a cheap mobile laptop, and a decent gaming rig.

well running out of battery isnt an issue for me cuz i always bring the charger with me, im just wondering which one would be better for gaming although the z71A seems to be alot bigger and bulkier since its a widescreen.

The z71A looks like the faster rig for gaming, from what I can see.

However if you wanted to keep it small and light go with the other one which really shouldnt be too far behind. Although overclocking a laptop should be done with extreme care.

The life expectancy of the laptop you buy is the length of the warranty . unless you can work on it . because the cost of working on laptops makes it cheaper to buy a new one if it breaks down. also i have seen sever die soon after the warranty runs out .

Back