• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trikotret

Hey All,
I got a new Intel 3.0E for my work. It replaced my Intel 2.6 533. Ever since I installed the new cpu, my system keeps on hanging and saying that the some prgrams are not responding. I never had this problem before with my old CPU. I assumded with Hyperthreading that I would experience multitasks but in this case I only experience lock ups. Everyhting is set at default. :bang head

Here's the specs of my work computer:

Intel 3.0E
Albatron 865 PE/Pro
2x512 PC3200
Win Xp Pro

Thanks

im thinkin bios settings, reset them... maybe timings or something was forgotten, make sure its running at 3.0, im smelling a format coming on...

Thanks All. I just realized something. When I was enabling the hyoerthreading in bios, it locked on me so i had to push the reset button. Hmmm. maybe i do need to update bios.

Have you reinstalled Windows since you swapped the CPU? You might have to in order to get HT to work right.

I think you need to format because windows might not have installed HT support when you had your old CPU.

Paul1 said:
I think you need to format because windows might not have installed HT support when you had your old CPU.

After I installed the CPU, window recognized it and installed software for it and I had to reboot. The thing I hate about formating this computer is that its my work computer so I have to back up everything. :bang head

trikotret said:
After I installed the CPU, window recognized it and installed software for it and I had to reboot. The thing I hate about formating this computer is that its my work computer so I have to back up everything. :bang head

Shouldn't your work always be backed up anyways all the time??? :confused:

I doubt Windows will have enabled HT for you. Doublecheck in Task manager, you should see 2 CPU graphs.

sorry man as i said in post numero 2, i can smmmellll literally smell it from right here, a format coming on

*sniff**sniff*
smell.jpg

trikotret said:
it does show two cpus.
Cool - That means you should have HT enabled in your OS -

Double check ---> Control Panel/Adminstrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager/ ---> open 'Computer' & you should have 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC' selected.

Now update to the latest & greatest BIOS.

If all is well, as described above, and you're still having probs:

1] If running stock, or near stock, make sure your PSU has at least 20A on the +12 Rail, maybe a bit more, if your running a lot of 12V periphperials.

2] You've also gotta' keep an eye on your MOSFET & Capacitor temps, too. If the FETS are really hot, cool w/an auxilliary fan, or a HSF that has an inate air flow pattern that cools your FETS & caps.

The above is especially critical if you've got a C0 stepping 3.0E (not likely if you've recently bought it - but you can verify the stepping by the s-Spec).

Also - You're keeping your cpu temps reasonable, right: ~50*C, or (preferably) less, under full load, as read in AsusProbe. The Stock HSF may not be makin' the cut, even at stock speeds. A lot depends on your case cooling configuration, too.

Strat

OK guys after the bios update no more lockups :santa: The only concern I have is that my CPU temperature is running idle at 54C and case temperature is at 34C. Do Albatron montherboard report higher temperature than what they really are?? The reason why Im concerned is that my home systems is running at 36C idle and case is 32C. That's a big difference. :shrug:

S478 Prescotts run very hot compared to P4C & P4B - If you're talking as compared to your sig sytem, yeah, you're gonna' run a lot hotter, even running @ stock clock & Vcore.

The stock HSF is pretty marginal, especially if your case cooling isn't the greatest, & it's definitely unsuitable for OCing. I've never had an Albatron mobo, but that idle temp does look a little high, even for a Prescott.

Why not D/L TthrottleWatch & do some single or double priming for stability testing? If you start throttling, then you know your runnin' too hot.

I'd honestly swap out the stock Intel HSF, even if I wasn't going to OC. And if you wanna' OC, a HSF upgrade is mandatory, IMO.

Strat

I got myself a XP-120, with the same exact CPU 3.0E and I dropped from 49C IDLE to 38C IDLE. More cooling = always a good idea.

OK guys. I did a fresh installl and now the problem I'm having is that I getting dropped from my network. Whenever I access a programm on the network, I would get a drop connection error. So I put back the old cpu and didn't get that error!!!! Any ideas what's going :shrug: Could the reason be is that I have 2 different 512 memory modules? They are both PC3200 but different manufacturer.

Last edited:
Your lucky that the bios update worked for you. I just built a new system using a 3.0e and even with a bios that says it supports this chip i still get hangs with or with out HT on.

trikotret said:
OK guys. I did a fresh installl and now the problem I'm having is that I getting dropped from my network. Whenever I access a programm on the network, I would get a drop connection error. So I put back the old cpu and didn't get that error!!!! Any ideas what's going :shrug: Could the reason be is that I have 2 different 512 memory modules? They are both PC3200 but different manufacturer.
very interesting... technically by doing what you did this would mean the cpu is bad.. but you prob want to take out all but one stick of ram so there is no 'matching' conflicts.. see if this fixes it. one stick of ram, with your new proc, make SURE your bios settings are correct, and if you network drops off still we'll see what else is up.. if its a built in nic, and thats the only thing thats failing, you may have to get a new nic

Back