• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Office Internet Monitoring Software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

travanx

Registered
We are in a small office of 15 people and all the computers are WinXP and the server is a Win2k3 SBS system. My boss wants me to find a program that can monitor how long people are surfing the web and what they are doing.

We have been having problems lately with people just surfing the web all day long. So I think he wants something simple that he can go through like at the end of the day and see whats going on. If there are free programs to do this, that would be even better.

Any suggestions would be great.

Surfcontrol does this but it cost about $1000-2000 and uses a lot of resources. You need a hub, a server, 2 nics.

probably out of our price range. we are a pretty small not liking to spend type of place. though the savings of stopping people from wasting time seem like it would be worth buying. But at least I have something to try searching/comparing.

Ebola said:
Surfcontrol does this but it cost about $1000-2000 and uses a lot of resources. You need a hub, a server, 2 nics.

i found something in case anyone else is curious. its called spytech netvizor. i was messing around with the trial version.

in my school they use a program called netop but asfar as price or where 2 get it im not sure but i does work verry well and asfar as i can tell its easy to use

Spector Soft works well for me. Go here---->http://www.spectorsoft.com/
It 's pretty reasonably priced and lets you check other computers from a designated unit.
It's let you log keystrokes, chats, takes snapshots at intervals you choose, email. I use it to monitor my 4 kids activity on the web. They are aware of it being there also. Make sure you check and abide by privacy laws.

Since you already have SBS 2003, I would look into upgrading it to SBS 2003 Premium. It' is relatively inexpensive (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=552158 - find it here for under $600), should install right over your existing server, and it will add Windows ISA (Proxy) server which should allow you to log all Web traffic and pull reports on it.

Here is a snippet of what ISA server does in regards to your needs:

Centralized Logging and Reporting

Organizations are increasingly finding themselves under pressure to obtain comprehensive logs and provide detailed reports of corporate user Internet activity to meet local, state, and federal regulations. In addition, law enforcement may require access to an organization's Internet activity logs for civil and criminal investigations. ISA Server 2004 Standard Edition can log all activity moving through the firewall, and ISA Server 2004 Enterprise Edition allows for centralized logging and reporting for all members of enterprise arrays. Centralized logging and reporting greatly simplify the task of finding information about Internet activity on a per-user, per-group, server, or per-network basis. ISA Server also includes a comprehensive report generator that provides key information about Internet activity made through any ISA Server computer.

Back