• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 1.7 bad for winnie??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chris64

Disabled
Ok i dont plan on having my winnie for the next year and i am prob gonna get a venice in the next 4 months. My winnie will do 2700 with 1.7 and its where i wanna be, so my question is? Can i expect unexpexted failure runnin these volts?? Is my cpu gonna blow up?? Will it make it the next 6 months?? My temps are about 35 idle and 48 load with watercooling and im at 1,65 vcore already and im runnin at 2590mhz now.

So what u guys think?? I ran my barton at 2.0 for 2 years and no problems at all and the temps were bad with that thing and people told me that it would blow up at these temps and it never did. So what im saying is that voltage doesnt scare me at all and im not worryed about shorting my cpu;s life at all and i just want a good overclock and im willing to sacrifice longevity for raw horsepower!!!

So is 1,7 safe ?????

1.7 surly won't toast your chip in the next 6 months with proper water cooling. Comparing the voltage required by the Barton vs Winchester is like apples to oranges. The Winchesters default voltage is 1.4 whereas the Barton default voltage is 1.65 (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Most people are comfortable giving Winchesters up to ~1.6v on air cooling. I honestly can't think of too many threads with people saying their Winnie's died from too much voltage on an overclock, but I know there are people out there--they just can't post because their computers are shot!!

id leave it in the 1.65 area. 1.7 seems a little high. i put 1.8 to my first winny and got 2.8XX ghz. and the temps were acceptable. but i was a chicken s*** to see how long it would really last.

i guess its a risk factor for you to decide. but i say if you like having your computer than leave it alone.. you dont wanna have your rig apart waiting for a new cpu.. it will eat you alive !! lol ... plus when you get your venny you can sell a working winny.

I would be worried about frying the winnie if it was 1.8 or above, but 1.7 should be fine since you are keeping it cool. You would have to be really crazy to decrease the life of your cpu so much that it affects you if you upgrade every so often.

Back