• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winston 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 68$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kooshball

Wintec 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 68$

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-161-627&DEPA=1

Wintec AMPO Dual Channel Kit 184-pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model 3AMD1400-1GK-R -Retail

Model# 3AMD1400-1GK-R
Item # N82E16820161627

Specifications:
Manufacturer: Wintec
Speed: DDR400 (PC3200)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

looks pretty cheap. anyone know if WINTEC is any good?

koosh

Last edited:
kooshballlooks said:
pretty cheap. anyone know if winston is any good?

koosh
You mean Wintec... not Winston like that pack of cigs you just finished lol. :D Just as a headsup, cheap RAM is crap RAM. For some people using crap parts that run fine at stock is ok with them. For me it isnt.

The odds of you overclocking on those are slim to none

Sentential said:
You mean Wintec... not Winston like that pack of cigs you just finished lol. :D Just as a headsup, cheap RAM is crap RAM. For some people using crap parts that run fine at stock is ok with them. For me it isnt.

I concurr. I wouldn't go for anything less than TCCC at the absolute minimum, and TCCD or BH-5 if you can afford it. I bought some Corsair VS (which is actually supposed to be "good" cheap RAM) and I'd just as soon trade it for a magic bean as look at it. It's PC3200 and only runs stable stock @ 2.75v or higher, and anything over stock and it's not stable at all. I am not kidding when I say this RAM does not like 201 MHz. I would stay FAR away from value RAM from companies other than Mushkin, Corsair, G.Skill, and the like. You really do get what you pay for. At least spend the extra $10-15 and get something you will be more satisfied with.

douglasb said:
And on that note, I direct you to the thread I just started. For $10 more, you can get Mushkin, which you actually have a chance at overclocking. And that's with the Wintec RAM rebate. Without it the prices are the same.

If I needed cheap memory for a stock system, I'd go with the cheap Mushkin since they stand behind their products and if you had a problem, the warrranty service is painless.

I used thousands upon thousands of Wintec-manufactured memory modules during my time as a PC builder, and found them to be amongst the best available. I have also tried the 512MB AMPO PC3200 stick that Newegg is currently selling, and it worked fine in my mom's i845GV system. I wouldn't bank on less than cas 2.5 or more than 400MHz (although hers did seem to have some OC potential), but it's quality ram well worth the miniscule price it is currently commanding. BTW, you can buy the 512MB sticks for 34.99ea, sans rebate, as singles.

Don't buy it... wait another few months and a gig of decent ram just might sink below 50 bux. The prices are going down so fast... I'd wait for them to finally level off b4 buying some, UNLESS you're in a hurry.

Don't buy it... wait another few months and a gig of decent ram just might sink below 50 bux. The prices are going down so fast... I'd wait for them to finally level off b4 buying some, UNLESS you're in a hurry.

Not that fast. But, you have the right idea, even DDR2 is dropping, I just got my corsair pc2-4200 DDR2 for 114 shipped from zzf

Although it sounds funny, sometimes I feel like the prices are too low.

Wow, ram & lcds keep going lower & lower in price.
This is still a good deal for people who absolutely want a gig of 3200 for as cheap as possible, although I agree that the Mushkin is better for just $10 more.

If I needed cheap memory for a stock system, I'd go with the cheap Mushkin since they stand behind their products and if you had a problem, the warrranty service is painless.
Not to mention the blue line is doing some damn near amazing speeds and timings for $130.00US.

wannaoc said:
Not to mention the blue line is doing some damn near amazing speeds and timings for $130.00US.

How is it doing? What chips do they use?

Sentential said:

True, cheap ram isn't always the best, but it isn't always total crap. My cheapo $9.99 stick of PC-2100 PNY with Spectek chips does from 133 to a nice 201 at 2.5-3-3-7 (I don't remember exactly, but something real close to that) and 3ish Vdimm.

Wow, ram & lcds keep going lower & lower in price.

Agreed, I haven't even considered looking at ram until recently and was just amazed at how cheap it is getting. I also was shocked to learn I could buy a dual layer 8x dvd burner for about 50 bucks. I remember when a CD-RW drive was over 200.

Back