• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prime95 runs hours for small fft but fails blend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saud

ya hi, i ran prime95 for small fft and it would run for like forever(8-12 hours) never fail but when i run blend it would fail after like only 16 mins, i've thought it was my memory but i did memtest86 3 standard runs it didn't fail any of them

hitechjb1 said:

Prime95 with small FFT (8K - 32K) tests/stresses only CPU and cache, so it is not sufficient for CPU + memory stability. It stresses the CPU constantly with priority control, but since memory and system bus are not heavily involved, unless the CPU is clocked too high, it is more predictable and is less susceptible to random failure. It is not sufficient to ensure memory and system stability.

Prime95 with large FFT (8K - 1024K) tests/stresses CPU, cache and memory heavily with custom priority, so it is needed in additional to the small FFT tests to uncover any stability issues for CPU, cache and memory. Since larger amount memory is involved and the test can be affected by other background processes, so the test failure is more random in nature.

Prime95 with large FFT blend (8K - 4096K) tests/stresses CPU, cache, memory, chipset and system bus as a whole with custom priority. Memory is also stressed to the greatest extent. It should be used to completely test the CPU, cache, memory, chipset and system. As larger amount of memory is involved, including hard drive paging, video, system bus activities which can be affected by other background processes (even with minimum number of processes running), so the test failure is most random in nature and hardest to pass.

For more details,

Stability testing using memtest, SuperPI (32M) and Prime95 (post 242)

Stability testing using Stress Prime 2004 (SP2004) (post 281)

my processor maybe stable but my memory and other things can't support it?, i think i understand what ur trying to say i think ill probably try 240 x 10 on blend see if that works out

you might need higher chipset voltages or things like that. blend tests everything, like the ram, the cache, the chipset, the processor and all that. higher voltage might fix that issue though. try it out and see what happens.

i would try to run prime95 at boot instead of in windows since anything running in the backround can give errors. i use ultimate boot cd clicky

good luck

yeah somethink in your system is not stable u can try 240 x 10 if stable then back to 245*10 and
up cpu,chipset,vagp,vdimm voltage (one or more of those)

hm..., vagp i dont think i should raise, my memory is fine, i believe, how do i raise my chipsetvoltage on my mobo?, i dont would it really matter im running 240 x 10 and my HTT is at x 4

The chipset voltage should be in the bios (e.g. DFI NF4 has CPU, memory, LDT interface and chipset voltages). But the Neo2 bios may not have the chipset voltage.

The LDT multiplier of x4 should be fine. But you may reduce to x3 just for testing.

But I think the problem may not be the chipset voltage, may be due to memory itself.

What are the memory timing and voltage?

Assuming you are using TCCD (from your sig), try to increase tRCD by 1 clock cycle to see whether it helps.

im using the timing that pdp tested for 250 , im using 240, im sure thats not the problem b/c im running not overclocked but kind of underclocked, the timings for 250 are 2.5,3,3,7 which im running for 240, well right now i havn't tested my prime95 but i think that my computer feels a little more stable for some reason gonna test prime95 overnight and see how it does

Also use the custom option of Prime95 blend, it then gives lots of various options such as the virtual memory size, FFT size, ... for diagnosing the system. Large virtual memory size would increase paging activities which involve the hard drive, system bus, chipset, making the system more susceptible to instability.

i'ved tried it, that was what i was sayin it ran great passed it 3 times in a row
computer shut down on me on 240 x 10 i gave a little more voltage and then after about 2 hours of my game it shut down on me again so i tried a little more voltage

ok this is getting annoying, my test run great in prime 95 with the small fft, so i assume my processor is fine, what is causing my computer to give me the blue screen or fail in prime95 with blend, i need ur help people thanks

woh this is weird, running only 233 x 10, and my aim froze overnight , i just now woke up and it was there i ran my mouse over it and it closed

ok this is very annoying now, now im running stock something is seriously wrong with something with my computer

Back