• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood, prescott????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I just finished rebuilding my new rig, so i have some spare parts lying around. I had a compaq computer, but recently bought a motherboard and some awesome memory. I used my existing cpu which was a p4 3.0C Northwood 800MGz FSB. I just bought a p4 3.0GHz Prescott from ebay for a pretty good price and i want to put this on my old motherboard, that should be ok right? Are they compatible? The motherboard is some kind of compaq proprietary Asustek motherboard. There shouldn't be a difference though, right? Thanks for your help.....

It was a compaq presario 8000T. Here is a link to the product specs but i don't know if this will help...... LINK . This computer is about a year old or so, hopefully it is prescott ready.... Thanks for the quick reply man. :)

unless your overclocking (which you probably wont be with a compaq) the northwood will be faster then the prescott clock for clock, and it will run cooler

I bought an Asus p4p800E-Deluxe for my Northwood so i could overclock and then my crap pc3200 memory couldn't handle it so i bought....

"Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25 1GB Kit DDR550 XMS4400 Memory w/Black Heat Spreader"

So i can get some decent overclocking.....
No, i don't have the prescott yet, i just bought it 30 minutes ago on ebay. I just want to put together a decent computer for my son to game on, won't be overclocking this one. So the pressie should be ok on that board? Thanks again for the quick replies man, i appreciate that.

Yes it should be ok, if, like sen said you have the latest bios for taht board. Also you should stick the presscott on your system and give your son the northwood. The presscott will OC better and since your son won't be OC'in then it will be a perfect match:)

PEACE

EWBatOVAclockin said:
Yes it should be ok, if, like sen said you have the latest bios for taht board. Also you should stick the presscott on your system and give your son the northwood. The presscott will OC better and since your son won't be OC'in then it will be a perfect match:)

PEACE
Really, i thought the northwood was better for oc'ing?? I will definately switch them for sure if the prescott is better for oc'ing!!

prescotts are better for OC'ing, but the LGA775 ones are better in general...

I like my northwood ^^

Back