• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor drive stopped working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good Evening,

I have a 200gb maxtor drive about 7 months old. Today the drive is not working and when look at it in windows and open the drive i just see the folders with strange symbols like £^$%&£$ like that but more strange as the names of the folders.
If i try to open a folder i get an error message and will not open.
The bios does see the drive and windows does see it.
The Hard drive that windows is on is working fine. I have norton disk doctor come up error messsage would not even try to fix it.
I have my whole ipod libary on that drive and other cool stuff.
Any of you guys or gals have any idea what i could do??
Cheers
malcolm

Stop using the drive, and see if you can RMA it for a new one. It sounds like the drive is dying.

Do you have another spare hard drive? If so, can you copy off all your data from it? That would probably be your best bet.

Pop it in the freezer for a while and wait for it to get cold. Then take it out and plug it into your system and hopefully it will work long enough for you to get your data backed-up. Then proceed to buy a Western Digital.

I had a $100 store credit at OfficeDepot when my old drive went bad. So i went and got a Maxtor from OfficeDepot, being as thats the only brand they carried...

Has only crashed twice in last year, needing a low level format the last time. I wont be putting another Maxtor in my puters again....

WingsofGOD said:
I had a $100 store credit at OfficeDepot when my old drive went bad. So i went and got a Maxtor from OfficeDepot, being as thats the only brand they carried...

Has only crashed twice in last year, needing a low level format the last time. I wont be putting another Maxtor in my puters again....
I have a dead 40gb maxtor sitting next to me. Only drive that I've EVER had die on me.

Currently, The top is removed and I have it rigged up to a 12v battery so it spins up. I have an 800fps pellet gun and I'm going to shoot this thing while it spinning. My neighbor's going to record the whole thing. We've also got a dead keyboard and PSU lined up aswell :) Should be fun. We both have AIW's (he got his from me), so the video should be on the net pretty soon, providing I can find hosting. I don't know if I have enough space on my adelphia account to host a video or not.

I have had maxtor drives for a long time first one to die on me and my most recent one.
It will not let me drag anything off it to put on one of the other drives i have 2 other maxtor 200gb drives in the system as well most stuff apart from my itunes mps's are backed up.
When i start windows it trys to correct each cluster and it is over 1 million clusters now took it all day i may just turn it off and hit space bar so it does not do this. I get the feeling it is not helping.
I will call maxtor i got this drive from new egg have the invoice.
malcolm

trying running Powermax. Should have come on a floppy with your drive, unless you bought oem. You can download it from Maxtor.com. It will tell you what is wrong with the drive.

Yeah, try the freezer trick. Tried it for my Maxtor 6-12 months ago and it still works after it died... Back from the dead and eating more power!

OK
first never do the freezer trick first, second, third, fourth, etc.... IT IS A LAST RESORT OPTION!!!!!

Try booting to a knoppix disk and see if it will let you save the data.

Then run the drive diagnostics from the manufacturer.

Ok i run the drive dignostics and it come up passed on both test i think if i format drive it will work fine.
I want to try get my saved crap off the drive. Every folder is named like this below█*OÙé@

When i try open i get an error. The drive now only had 128 files on it and only 6 meg free space.
Kind of strange this all happened overnight.
I had 80gb free it is almost like someone got a magnet or something. My other 2 drives in the pc work fine.
Have you guys got any idea of some software i could use to try pull the info i have on the drive?
Also if i want to just try and get the drive working should i do a low level then normal format and just forget about my stuff.

Try booting with a knoppix disk and see if it can see the data. If it can just copy it to another drive. (you will have to mount one of your drives writable)

Back