• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X850 XT PE AGP Who says AGP is dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=ATI+X850+XT+PE+AGP

If you want a fast card and still have AGP mobo, this might fit the bill.

It's faster than the GF6800U except when you SLI 'em.

I hope ATI keeps porting to AGP as they get faster cards.

Same goes for nVidia. Only a small minority are going to go SLI. It's just too expensive for most of us.

Edit: Screw Newegg's shifting data base :shrug:

Here's a google search link instead.

Last edited:
AGP is far from dead. It's still got alot of years of life left. All my buds are still running AGP mobos and NONE of us are going to upgrade all kinds of sh*t just to get PCIe. nVidia's and ATI's next gen GPUs will be in both AGP and PCIe if they want to make money as 80% of us have AGP mobos. :bang head

Whether AGP is "dead" or not is irrelevant. AGP isn't truly dead (yes, I know that I have personally called it "dead" several times: when I say "dead" I imply that it is on the verge of obsolesence), but neither are PCI display adaptors. :)

The fact of the matter is that AGP is no longer the standard. As such, expensive AGP video cards and motherboards are a bad investment.

If you want to future proof your expensive purchase, you migrate to PCI-Express.

pci-e boards cost the same as agp boards, new agp cards costs more than pci-e cards', the new ATI cards are built on pci-e platforms then add an expensive Rialto chip for agp, ati will soon have their version of 'SLI

link is dead.

Personally, I also don't think AGP is dead. In fact, SLI is a total overkill, and extremely expensive.

link is dead.

Personally, I also don't think AGP is dead. In fact, SLI is a total overkill, and extremely expensive.

Indeed, SLI is overkill. But, PCI-Express is still the standard of the future, SLI or no SLI.

Although AGP video cards are still being produced, the high end models such as this one are rare, and expensive for a part that is ultimately based on an obsolete standard. That dead link is a great example - good luck to anyone trying to find an AGP X850 :( :-/

I agree that if you are in the market for a new platform you would be foolish not to get PCIe. However lots of us still have very nice AGP boards that have years left on them and there are still enough of us for ATI and nVidia to make substantial profits for at least two more years.

Yeah well I like AGP and will stand by it for a while. Just as I did PCI when AGP came around. But I am still ****ed how fast it went. I can't get a friggin AGP board that has nforce 4 on it and I JUST got an x800 pro last august... its just not right.

Totally agree that if anyone is in the market for a new setup, they definitely should go for PCI-E. If you have a nice AGP setup, I definitely don't think it is a waste of money to get a nice AGP card. It's way much cheaper than upgrading the whole rig. I, for one, is an example. I still feel the pain in my wallet for upgrading the whole rig.

I just recently made the switch to the PCIe (and DDR2) platform because the oppertunity was there for me to sell my AGP/DDR setup so I took the chance.

otherwise I'd still be running the AGP route.

agp isnt dead for the reason I have alot of agp cards sitting around for gaming and 3dmark, you can bet im not getting a pci-e mobo anytime soon......

Back