• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Distros are 64bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gentoo for one. Not all packages are available in 64 bit ebuilds yet, but quite a few are.

'm gunna toss on a 64bit version of Linux and I don't know what distro's are 64bit. Which one is the best for new Linux users? Something easy to set up. The more user friendly the better.
Sounds like a candidate for Suse 9.2, has a 64bit version....

Mandrake 10.1 is the easiest 64 bit distro to handle. I'd wet my feet starting out with Mandrake. Painless install. I would say Overclokix is pretty nice, but I'm not sure if its 64 bit.

apu318 said:
Are there any distros that offer full NTFS support? Like read/write? I'd take that over 64bit.. and ease of use is no issue. Ill learn the hard way if i have to.

You might look into a program called NTFS-Captive. This should allow you to read and write to NT FileSystems. However, I have not tested write. Of course you can use that application with a 64 bit OS.

I've personally had better luck with gentoo on my amd64 than anything else (mandrake, suse, fedora), but...... its not perfect..... if you don't mind a little work and you know what you are doing, gentoo is awesome.

personal note...... i have the slowest amd64 available with an ok msi mobo and its is a bit faster than my slightly overclocked p4 2.6c with a top of the line msi mobo in 32 bit....... in 64 bit....... its not even a contest, on gentoo, this thing is straight up SMOKIN FAST, it blows away my p4 box, makes it feel like a p3 lol
anyway, just my personal amd64 testomony

apu318 said:
Yeah I was playing around with it. I found it on Auditor. I tried to get it going but it couldnt find any NTFS partitions for some reason. I couldnt mount them manually either.

knoppix will automatically mount them for you...

did you get any kind of an error message/

Back