• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stunaat

im new to intels stuff and new to the board,well been readin but not postin and I thought I would ask you guys
my wife bought a while back an emachines with the celeron 2.6
I found out that its a D1 stepping well I did an upgrade kinda
replaced the mobo and cpu with amd slower clock but more cach so it runs better for what we do.
anyways I have the celly laying around and i want to put it to some use and build a new system around that .

any one have any suggestions please I may or may not oc it its mainly to play with but if it does good I want a stable board so I can add massive hdds in it and make a storage server /multimedia box or whatever i fancy at the time :cool:

mainly stable but fun boards any help???

Last edited:
Ok, your Celeron 2.6 D1 stepping is a 400 bus CPU with 128k cache. They will generally O/C to 3 gig quite easily with stock cooling. With a bump or two in voltage and a little better cooling, they might "average" 3.2 to 3.4 gig. The lack of cache limits performance, but sounds like you are aware of that and this CPU will still make a good computer for what you have in mind.

Ok, sounds like you want a budget priced motherboard that is stable and reliable with some decent features and something that will overclock. Sound about right? I'm not finding any great bargains right at the moment. Seems like the socket 478 mobos aren't selling as well as they once were. The Abit AI7 is a sweet board for $102 at newegg.com and looks like the Asus P4P800 is about $97.

Most of the cheap mobos are going to be VIA or SIS chpsets. I recommend getting an Intel 865/875 chipset. If you don't mind getting a refurbed board and can live with just 2 dimm slots, the Abit IS7-E2 is a good deal from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-174R&type=Refurbished

that is7-e2 would be perfect nice find thank you
2 dimm slots are fine cause it supports 2 gigs and thats more than enough for me

100 dollars would be fine also becasue i am not buying a mobo or hdd i have an sata laying around somplace so for 300 dollars i can build an ok rig then when i fry this chip i can get a p4
again thank you for the input how would this one be http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-175&depa=0

this ones new and right in a good price range

Back