• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better, higher clock speed or higher fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I'm working on ocing my rig (specs in sig), and I have it up to 280x14=3962. I just started wondering, would it be better to have a higher fsb but lower clock speed, or lower fsb and higher clock speed?

From my overclocking experience, higher FSB usually yields higher raw performance of the system. Clock speed is just clock speed. If devices don't send enough data in to make use of that clock speed than cpu is just wasting its cycles.

It depends on what your cpu/mobo likes. Sometimes a cpu likes a lower multiplier but a higher fsb. Some like a high fsb, 10x multiplier. But in the end a clock speed comes out and it will some out the same just using a different way.

Is asynch much worse than 1:1? My ram is spec'd to run at 667 mhz, and I doubt I can bring my fsb up to 333...The only way to run that faster would be to run it asynch

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
i only thought asynch was down. duhh!
dang that just threw me wayyyyyy of, is asynch always down, i dont even want to think since my brain already hurts so im just gonna throw the question out. is asynch always down or is it possible for the ram to be faster than the system?? thx --nstabl

Back