• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVida or ati? which offers better fsb overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Anandtech said:
We know for a fact that ATI's PCIe is more tolerant of out-of-spec PCIe frequencies in our tests, but we do not know why this is the case. The Engineers we talked with speculated that ATI's native PCIe solution had less overhead than the bridged nVidia PCIe and therefore handled higher PCIe frequencies.

Isn't that obvious? I don't see the novelty in this test, unless I'm mistaken and they imply a single ATi PCIe is better than a SINGLE NVidia PCIe card in their influence on system stability.

Welcome to the Forums, Mate!!!!

I have the 6600gt as well and I'm not switching anytime soon. I hope somebody who owned both cards can attest to this. Then again, I have an A64 and this FSB thing is a non-issue in my case.

i think it is a more "per card" basis - 2 people can get the same card and very differnet results - you could read that ATI kicks butt, then get one and it wont overclock much @ all!

dont make a purchase based on overclockablity ebcause chances are you will be disappointed more often then now,

My opinion anyways.

This is with PCI-e vid cards what the problem is the high end nvidia cards use an AGP to PCI-e bridge which means the cards didn't have to be re-engineered to run on PCI-e interface. So 6800 Nvidia cards don't like high PCI-e frequencys as well as there ATI counterparts. This doen't apply to the PCI-e native 6600, and 6200 though. Also ironically Nvidia cards to better with a high AGP frequency than ATI cards do.

i wasnt wondering much on the overclockability of the vid card, but that if it hinders the max mobo fsb. because my mobo doesent have onboard graphics. it says i can lock the pci frequency though, but i dont know if that includes the pci-e aswell. its an Asus p5gd2 regular. not deluxe or premium. (same features w/o the wireless and and a bit of other little things)

And thank you Nade for the welcoming. do you o/c your 6600gt at all? or know anything about flashing the bios of it?

I did a quick search... and it appears you have an AGP board, so you can't use pci-express video cards. Be that the case, it was mentioned above that NV cards can handle higher fsb's. This only applies though if you don't have a pci lock.

Back