• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need recommendation for PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bathroom Monkey

Alright, after reading tons of posts in the AMD64 section, reading how a beefy +12v rail is needed to overclock these computers, I need some help picking a PSU.

I am upgrading to a 3200 venice core with a MSI neo2 mobo, 6800gt (oc'd of course), 7 80mm case fans, a 3 fin high speed delta fan, a fan controller, 2 hd's, 2 optical drives, and god knows how many pci cards I'll have.

I'm looking at a Fortron ax-500 blue storm. Will this be adequate for a good oc on the athlon64? Or should I spend more money??

I have an antec tp 430w, and I've decided that it would hardly power the system, reading other people's experiences.

I need some advice. I know that a OCZ powerstream 520w would work, but I only want to spend $100 or so bucks... not 150ish :beer:

Bathroom Monkey said:
I'm looking at a Fortron ax-500 blue storm. Will this be adequate for a good oc on the athlon64?

More than adequate. If you plan on running SLI though with a second 6800, I would suggest the Sparkle/Fortron FSP550-60PLG or FSP550-60PLN instead. Getting me to buy an OCZ would require them dropping the prices significantly.

Welcome to the forums :)

Oklahoma Wolf said:
More than adequate. If you plan on running SLI though with a second 6800, I would suggest the Sparkle/Fortron FSP550-60PLG or FSP550-60PLN instead. Getting me to buy an OCZ would require them dropping the prices significantly.

Welcome to the forums :)

I got to agree with both. A Sparkle/Fortron 550W will do the trick. If money isnt an object. A 510 SLI PCP&C will do it. But then again the new 550W Sparkle/Fortron is a very STRONG contender indeed........... :p

Thanks for the warm welcome :) This site rocks like that. :thup:

I'm not running SLI, so that fortron blue storm would probably be a good bet. Being that I JUST sleeved my 430 antec, I don't really feel like sleeving another psu again.

I just have to ask myself if I would be upgrading in the near future.. that sparkle/fsp 550w with the combined 12v rail looks pretty nice... I'd have to sleeve it but it'd definately last maybe another upgrade.... hmmm

Also, what does the split +12v rail effect? I know it's meant for a p4 system, but would this starve anything in an athlon64 system? especially if it's overclocked?

That's one of the things I"m still confused about... what does each rail supply? I know they don't 'switch' so they can't combine for the other one's defficiencies....

Bathroom Monkey said:
Also, what does the split +12v rail effect? I know it's meant for a p4 system, but would this starve anything in an athlon64 system? especially if it's overclocked?

On Fortron units, 12v2 powers the CPU/motherboard while 12v1 is for the drives and peripherals. The AX500-A has a 15A 12v2, which is more than enough for any current desktop CPU on the market. The 550W dual rail unit ups that to 18A. I don't see any A64 or Prescott getting starved by either, but if you're worried about it there's always the FSP550-60PLG and its single 36A 12v rail.

500W fortron bluestorm
i never knew how nice it was to have a sleeved PSU till i got one :D

You guys are all such good help on these forums. Thanks a ton!

I think I'm going to go with the fortron blue storm. Sleeving that antec took me something in excess of 5 hours, and the blue storm is sleeved... well. If I get a pining to sleeve another psu again, I'll grab that 550 fsp :)

You're welcome :)

Keep in mind the AX500-A is a 460w unit... irritates me to see Newegg claiming it's a 500w. Although I can see how they thought it was 500w from the model number.

Bathroom Monkey said:
You guys are all such good help on these forums. Thanks a ton!

I think I'm going to go with the fortron blue storm. Sleeving that antec took me something in excess of 5 hours, and the blue storm is sleeved... well. If I get a pining to sleeve another psu again, I'll grab that 550 fsp :)

Now that's what exactly what MrCooper would like to hear from his fortron users....Go for the 550W indeed and forget bout the aging 530W or the blue lagoon versions :eh?:

d94 said:
500W fortron bluestorm
i never knew how nice it was to have a sleeved PSU till i got one :D
By "sleeved", do you mean that the wires are wrapped together with cloth or something to keep things tidy and help airflow?

I also recommend the 500W Fotron Blue Storm. I installed mine last Friday and it has allowed me to increase my stable overclock! My old crappy 400W rated PSU (Allied) couldn't keep up when I attempted to raise Vcore.

for the future you might want to look at the neo power 480...has modulated connectors and native pci-e connectors and sata..it is sleeved too...very nice.

Back