• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New hard drive help!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Pimp_Modder

Registered
I have a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite 1805 S207 and it has an ATA-4 hard drive. The hard drive is no good and i need a new one and the one im looking at is an ATA-6 5400rpm. Can I put an ATA-6 in an ATA-4 computer. Im new to laptops and i feel like an idiot someone please help me.

Hmm, I think you can, although it may or may not make full use of all its capabilities. (Such as running an ATA133 drive in a machine that only has ATA66.) So long as the interface matches, though, I'd think it would be fine. -- Paul

^ agree
The other thing to is will the bios allow you to upgrade to a too much larger HDD.I would think so but , i have had probs with DELL before.
MassRaptor

well my dad's old lappy is a dell 5000e celly 600mhz and the hard drive died in it. I dropped in a new seagate 40gig 5400rpm drive. No problems what so ever, made the celly much quicker when doing some apps.

I would agree with the others, most are backwards compatible, so you should have no problems, but unfortunatly it wouldn't be any faster then the old one.

Back