• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plextor 716sa Sata DVD Drive And Asus??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grsz06

Registered
Has anyone had any experience with this SATA DVD drive on the Asus A8V DeLuxe??

Plextor does not show the A8V on their compatability chart. I have heard it won't becuase of the Via chip.

I guess the big question is , will it work on this board??

Last edited:
Hi, and :welcome: to the forums!

From Plextor's site, I do not see your motherboard listed; however, if your motherboard has a SATA port based off the sil3112, sil3114, or sil3512... then it SHOULD work. I don't have this board so I cannot fully vouch for it.

Hope that helps! :)

I have built this drive into three PCs (2 Gigabyte boards and 1 Chaintech...none of which were on the approved list at the time) with no real problems.
You do have to make sure that RAID is disabled on the channel you want to use- we have varying theories about why, but it does seem to work.

I'm running the same drive on my nForce3 Ultra chipset's SATA ports and it works like a dream. Running it off the Silicon Image 3512 controller works just as well. It's an awesome drive, but I don't see why the IDE version of the drive wouldn't be just as well, since hard disk to optical drive transfer speeds are a bottleneck right now. I bought the SATA version cause I'm wanting a clean system, as well as an entirely SATA based system. :)

Back